Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
No excuses! They have heard them all and you will just p**s them off.

This has worked twice for me. This is your best bet for getting off cheap.

Pull over. Shut off engine. Keep seatbelt buckled and hands on the wheel. Do as you're told and speak when you are spoken to. Yes sir and no sir. When they ask if you know how fast you were going just say "I'm not sure exactly" Don't admit, don't deny.

I have been stopped three times in 40 years. Got one ticket and two warnings.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
It all depends on the reason for the stop, your attitude and the circumstances.

You act like you're in charge and the officer is bothering you, I can guarantee a ticket, even if s/he was thinking warning when the lights came on.

You going 45 in a residential zone? I can't think of any excuse that will work. Run a stop sign or red light? Good luck.

A little fast on the thoroughfare, say 60 in a 45 and you're not weaving in and out of traffic, just speeding, if you're close to home or work you can try chagrin and respect, with a "officer, I know I was speeding, but I've got a bad case of diarrhea and I'm just trying to get home / to the office before I have an accident" and you act all meek and embarrassed, that can have a positive effect. Of course if it's 10:30 on a Friday night and you have friends in the car, that's not going to work, either.

The best excuse for an officer so as to not get a ticket is to not give them an excuse to stop you in the first place. Once you do, good luck. But remember, quota issues aside, they take their jobs seriously. Statistics vary but there are indications the average person who is stopped has committed scores of other violations without being stopped, so it's really just a matter of habit catching up with you, and the odds are when they hit the lights they know they've probably missed you the last 100 times.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got out of a one ticket for being "to cute to give a ticket to" once.... I love that one.
The cop was a young blonde, half way decent looking. That was definately a first.

The other I got out of for having "a good attitude". He actually was going to give me a slew of tickets for wreckless driving, inproper lane change, following to close, and speeding but only gave me a speeding and then reduced that to only 15 over, then gave me 2 months to pay it and when I went to pay it I found that he never turned it in. So I got out of that one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have had a ton of tickets from 16-28...Lost my license once. I am now 32 and am pretty good about not getting tickets. My best advise to anyone is, never go over 14 over the speed limit. If the speed limit is 55, don't go faster than 69, if it's 65, don't go over 79....
Out of all 4 of the defensive driving course I was ordered to take by the courts, that was the one thing they drove into our heads.
They said County and City cops will USUALLY not bother you for anything less than 15 mph over the limit. Reason why is ,15 over is when it goes on your license as points anything less is just a $$$ ticket.

Now State Patrol will give you a ticket for absoulutely anything and you don't wanna speed around the State patrolat all.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had a corvette for 6 years before buying the SLK and I have not had a speeding ticket in almost 20 years. And I always drive fast. I cant tell you how many times I have blown past highway patrol at 90+ and they just dont even seem to see me.

One time I was seen and the cop followed me off the freeway then about a half mile on surface streets before heading back. But no ticket.

I have known cops with corvettes and been told that a nice sports car gets a lot less attention when speeding than say a riced out Honda or a '78 Regal with blacked out windows.

With the vette I thought maybe they would look, see a middle aged guy with gray hair and just think 'harmless midlife crisis type'. But the tint on the SLK is very dark and they cant see inside unless they are right next to the car. I still get no attention. I am not complaining though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
I have had a ton of tickets from 16-28...Lost my license once. I am now 32 and am pretty good about not getting tickets. My best advise to anyone is, never go over 14 over the speed limit. If the speed limit is 55, don't go faster than 69, if it's 65, don't go over 79....
Out of all 4 of the defensive driving course I was ordered to take by the courts, that was the one thing they drove into our heads.
They said County and City cops will USUALLY not bother you for anything less than 15 mph over the limit. Reason why is ,15 over is when it goes on your license as points anything less is just a $$$ ticket.

Now State Patrol will give you a ticket for absoulutely anything and you don't wanna speed around the State patrolat all.
It is always dangerous to assume that the laws of your state apply everywhere else.

In most states speeding is a violation for which the conviction will result in points on your license, irrespective whethe that is 5 over or 25. Many have a surcharge of points if you are a certain amount over the limit or include reckless driving.

So your 14 mile over rationale is pretty much unfounded in most areas of the country. And if you're stopped, it won't wash as an excuse to say "hey they said on the forum that in Georgia I wouldn't get stopped for 12 over."

Being young, female and cute may all be ways to avoid a ticket, but they aren't exactly an "excuse" others might be able to try.;)

Congrats on the maturity and the lessons learned along the way.

Greg

·
Registered
187 Posts
It is always dangerous to assume that the laws of your state apply everywhere else.

In most states speeding is a violation for which the conviction will result in points on your license, irrespective whethe that is 5 over or 25. Many have a surcharge of points if you are a certain amount over the limit or include reckless driving.

So your 14 mile over rationale is pretty much unfounded in most areas of the country. And if you're stopped, it won't wash as an excuse to say "hey they said on the forum that in Georgia I wouldn't get stopped for 12 over."

Being young, female and cute may all be ways to avoid a ticket, but they aren't exactly an "excuse" others might be able to try.;)

Congrats on the maturity and the lessons learned along the way.

Greg
Yes, I guess i didn't think about that, I have traveled quite a bit throughout the SouthEast and been good on the speeding issue because usually if I stick to that rule, most fo the time there is some idiot going much faster than me. But you are correct on the laws being different in other areas. I for the most parts just try to keep it less than 14 over and it serves me well.

I would NEVER condone repeating something I read on a forum to a cop. That's pure insanity. That's asking for it.
Just trying to share alittle wisdom but it backfired on. Sorry.

EDIT:
I am male,the police officer was female. That's why I was so surprised at the response. It took me off guard, but was a nice compliment, as I get older I don't get those compliments as much.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a corvette for 6 years before buying the SLK and I have not had a speeding ticket in almost 20 years. And I always drive fast. I cant tell you how many times I have blown past highway patrol at 90+ and they just dont even seem to see me.

One time I was seen and the cop followed me off the freeway then about a half mile on surface streets before heading back. But no ticket.

I have known cops with corvettes and been told that a nice sports car gets a lot less attention when speeding than say a riced out Honda or a '78 Regal with blacked out windows.

With the vette I thought maybe they would look, see a middle aged guy with gray hair and just think 'harmless midlife crisis type'. But the tint on the SLK is very dark and they cant see inside unless they are right next to the car. I still get no attention. I am not complaining though. :thumbsup:
Yea, i think that rings true with a lot of police. My wife has always been a speed demon and she never gets pulled over in the C320. I was used to drive a Volvo C70 convertible and never got pulled over, but my last pull over when I got the speeding ticket was in my Acura Integra that looks like a punks car, but I actually was driving it for the mileage while the gas was $4.
In this car i am just begging to be pulled over for no reason. One more reason why I am selling it and opting for the C320

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yea, i think that rings true with a lot of police. My wife has always been a speed demon and she never gets pulled over in the C320. I was used to drive a Volvo C70 convertible and never got pulled over, but my last pull over when I got the speeding ticket was in my Acura Integra that looks like a punks car, but I actually was driving it for the mileage while the gas was $4.
In this car i am just begging to be pulled over for no reason. One more reason why I am selling it and opting for the C320

And that RED paint on the Acura doesnt help a darned bit. :(

·
Registered
759 Posts
so being hot is the only thing that has worked? why do you guys even post if you dont have anything to say? "dont drive fast" is not an excuse to get out of a ticket, he is assuming that he has already been pulled over, something that happens more in some places than other. sorry but you guys are lame thread hijaclers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
so being hot is the only thing that has worked? why do you guys even post if you dont have anything to say? "dont drive fast" is not an excuse to get out of a ticket, he is assuming that he has already been pulled over, something that happens more in some places than other. sorry but you guys are lame thread hijaclers.
What are you the forum cop? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
759 Posts
hell no i hate cops. its not the job its the people that apply for it! i just hate answers like when you loose something and someone says "do you remember tha last time you saw it?" well gee i never thought of that, of course if you dont get pulled over you never get a ticket. man do you think this guy is a retard or something? do you think thats what every person who has ever been pulled over in the history of cops has immediately thought? sorry im just sayin. no offense of course.

ok heres some interesting ones to get back on subject:

"for getting out of a drunk driving ticket"

carry an unopened pint of your favorite booze in the car. if youre pulled over and youve been drinking immediately open the bottle in front of the cop and down the whole thing. now you can claim sobriety at the time of being stopped and theres no way they can prove you werent. you might get a drinking in public or something but here a DUI is a very serious offense.

"for all other tickets" (caution: requires acting)

as the cop is giving you the normal butt-rape become very distressed and emotional about it. cry, punch the steering wheel, yell out self defamation comments, bang head on dashboard, whatever. just dont threaten the cop or act like youre on something. the theory is that cops are trained not to aggravate an aggravated person and they will likely let you go just to calm you down.

"if that doesnt work" (cation: requires giving a blow job)

give a blow job. the theroy here as i understand it is somewhat based on the bribe principal, although it may go way deeper than that. not sure if it would work. this might be suited for the younger boys and girls on the forum. you old wrinkly farts dont try this or you will end up in the slammer and have to do it every day.

"if all else fails"

shoot the cop. it helps if youre in a stolen car or one that has the wrong plates on it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ha well glad you asked.
Have a pilot license. When the cop tells you you where flying show him that.
He will just tell you to slow down.
True story.

Or just be a dumbass like i resently was.
The cop stopped me and took forever to walk to my car so i was looking in the rear veiw mirror at myself and trying to wiggle my nose to unstop.
The copped laughed and told me to go home and take some cold medicine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had 5 tickets in the past three years... 3 for speeding... 1 for passing a cop with his blue lights on and the other for a wreck. For the first 4 i was pulled over by the same cop, no excuses have worked for me but ... my aunt works for city hall so she got me out of the first three. The other one I got out of it myself, i had to go wash(more like detail) all the cop cars one saturday at 7am when it was 28 degrees outside and clean the kitchen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I haven't been stopped since 1959, but I was talking to a Z3 driver at the bank the other day. A cop had pulled him over for speeding the night before, and he said to the cop "I can pass your field sobriety test; I just can't pass your stupidity test."

The cop chuckled and told him to keep it down.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.