Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best grade of engine oil for 2003 C320 (W203)? It has just jumped over 200,000 km on the odometer. I used to put Castrol 10-40 Magnatec; now I have been advised for the 20-50 but I am not sure. Please, if anyone can advise, please reply.

·
Registered
283 Posts
why in the world would u put 10w... u know how thick that oil is? that will ruin your engine

your best choice would 0w-40 mobil 1 hands down

everyone here can agree

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
I'm with Sammy. Neither of the oils you mention are on the approved list.

And 20W50 is way too thick for the engine. If you're in Europe there are more options, but in the US the easiest and cheapest to find spec oil is Mobil1 0W40.

Speaking of which, please click user cp and edit details to add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's useful information when you're seeking assistance.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Magnatec is not a synthetic oil - synthetic is better

The issue with the grade is more about the low end (0w or 10w) for fast circulation of oil and so less wear on start up

Nothing wrong with 50 at the top end if you are in a hot climate as long as you have 0w or 10w for starting - 20w is too thick for startup

Benz are not very fond of some of the 0w-30 grades as some do not have the required shear strength at higher temps (see 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30)

Oberoi

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi i own c320 and i got 0w-40 mobil 1. So far i can say it was goid choice. Don't listen to advisors or mechanics who "want to repair your engine" ask castrol or mobil customer service. They know better

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive been running mobil syn. 5w-30. Its time for an oil change, should i go to 0w-40?
Or stay with what i have been with? Also car has 39k. Thanks

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Ive been running mobil syn. 5w-30. Its time for an oil change, should i go to 0w-40?
Or stay with what i have been with? Also car has 39k. Thanks
What you've been running does not meet MB spec., either for viscosity or additive pack. :(

Definitely go to Mobil1 0W40. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm seeing a lot of you recommending 0W40 but I just looked in my owner's manual and it says to put in 229.1 or 229.3 spec oil. I looked that up and that's mostly 10W40 oils and some 5W40s, but no 0W40! Mine is a 2002 C230 K

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,840 Posts
Spec 229.5 supersedes 229.1 ans 229.3. Mobil 1 0w40 "Euro formula" meets 229.5

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not at all true Sammy if you live in a warmer climate - look at the attached thumbnail from Oberoi.

The 0W or 5W refers to the lower end deg C temperature, so a 0W or 5W is useless in Florida or Brisbane Australia where I live - there is no need to go below 10W or 15W or even 20W in summer.

I use a Penrite HPR 10W-50 (Extra 10 with Zinc so high temp protection) in both my W210 and W203 and Penrite confirmed this meets the MB Spec for these vehicles even though 5W-40 may be the normally recommended to cover the whole of Aus.

If you know the temperatures your vehicle operates in and what the oil rating figures mean - the rest is really just commonsense to get the oil you really need.

EVEN MB AREN'T TOO CLEVER ON THIS WHEN IT COMES TO THE TROPICS (or even the sub-tropics) -

I bought my W210 with 90,000 km and said to my Merc factory trained mechanic friend that I would have him change the transmission fluid at 100,000 km. He said no need since MB claimed the auto fluid was good for the life of the vehicle, however once I got to the 100,000 service (in summer), he recommended a change of the auto fluid since he had just done full transmission rebuilds on 2 similar vehicles at ~ 120K to 130K - Down Under has a harsh climate in places as does the US - so take this into account.

Merc also can't make plastics that stand up to the Aussie Sun / UV so interiors, rubbers and trim also suffer. The interior and trim on my son's 1991 Toyota Camry is better than my 2002 W210 Estate Elegance or 2003 W203 Elegance!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm seeing a lot of you recommending 0W40 but I just looked in my owner's manual and it says to put in 229.1 or 229.3 spec oil. I looked that up and that's mostly 10W40 oils and some 5W40s, but no 0W40! Mine is a 2002 C230 K
Exactly Luc Fruja - you got it spot on. Good old Penzoil (when I used to be able to get it in Brisbane) really taught me the importance of location - their product guide was latitude specific within Australia. I went in and asked for a 20W-50 for my Moto Guzzi Le Mans and came out with the first of many 20 liter drums of straight 50 - and never regretted the advice taken.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts