Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Wich paint do you prefer for your healights?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1985 190E(SOLD 04/14/11) - 1986 190E - 1986 190E 2.3-16
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two brands of euro lights in my white 190, left one is DEPO and the other is Bosch, wich have the inner plastic in a lighter grey color, now i discovered that the other car has a left Bosch and right one DEPO, so i can make two matching sets.
The thing is that i think that a lighter shade of grey will make the lights look better and will match better with my clear corners.
After some research i saw that some people painted them BLACK, i wonder if they look better in that color (or absence of :D).
Also i was playing with the idea of chrome paint so they look more brilliant, also matching corners even better (wonder if someone already did that).

So the options are:

1-VERY LIGHT GREY
2- BLACK
3- CHROME

What is your favorite one?

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
Black or DARK grey look the best in my opinion

Depo lights with dark grey on white car-

Bosch lights with Chrome VS Depos with dark grey on black car-

To me the chrome looks cheap and dingy, making the more expensive higher quality lights look cheap. And the cheaper Depos look much better to me. I am so glad I got rid of the Bosch's and put the Depos on.

·
Registered
1986 560SEC, 1986 190E 2.3
149 Posts
I've got a Bosch and a Hella, with the Hella being slightly darker. I've wanted to paint mine black to match but have wondered how to get in there. It's pretty tight and close to the glass.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow good pics. Im not too convinced on chrome, it makes the car look kinda odd. Maybe with clear corners its different tough.

Lifewithountpain: There´s two ways of doing the job, the right method and the easy one (that i will choose :D).
The right one is separating the glass from the plastic section using heat to melt the glue, sanding & cleaning, prepping the plastic to receive paint, painting and then rejoining the parts with new glue.
The easy one is masking the glass and spraying the hell out of it untill it gets painted, hoping to cover all spaces. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like the look of chrome on the inside of the lights. It gives a 500e feel. This is a pic of PerzBenz's old car with Chrome headlight surround.(before an unfortunate accident)

You can separate the glass from the plastic housing fairly easily by heating it up a little. Some people have thrown them in the oven (low temp!) for a little bit while I used a heat gun.

What chrome paint is that Twitchel? I haven’t found a paint that looks "chrome enough". I had to use several pieces of carefully cut chrome tape.

ps I do like the dark surround on your white 190.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
What chrome paint is that Twitchel? I haven’t found a paint that looks "chrome enough". I had to use several pieces of carefully cut chrome tape.

ps I do like the dark surround on your white 190.
Im not sure, they were like that when I got the car. Based on other sets of the French market Bosch lights (ones with the yellow fogs) I think that may ave been the way they came (I am also unsure if it was actually chrome or just really reflective silver). I am not a fan though, I think it made the black car look so much better by taking the Bosch off and putting on the Depos. The Bosch lights have a better fitment but the Depos look better IMHO.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've tried a few different "chrome" paints and they never come out right. That may be contributing to the cheapness effect you saw on yours. I think when it is done with a very reflective good quality chrome it looks very good. Or we may just have differing opinions too lol!

Sorry, I don’t mean to threadjack but I'm pretty sure there was never an oem chrome headlight surround for the 190. Here is a pic of the French spec ones for sale on the rev:

I do like the yellow fogs especially on darker cars.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
Hmmm, then maybe someone did paint them before. I didn't really look very closely. Oh well, I still like the Depo's better. IDK there is something about the Bosch lights that I don't like.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm, then maybe someone did paint them before. I didn't really look very closely. Oh well, I still like the Depo's better. IDK there is something about the Bosch lights that I don't like.
I noticed a difference in both crystals, the lines are sharper in Bosch and the DEPO has a set of 18 lines in the fog area thats absent in the Bosch.

As for the chrome paint, to achieve a deeper bright effect you have first to apply a big coat of primer, then sand with fine grit sandpaper to mirror-smooth the surface, then a gloss black coat, and 24 hours later the chrome. You can also apply clear coat to protect ONLY IF TOU KNOW THE METHOD, if no, dull grey will be the final result :D.

BTW, nice looking 16V there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I realize that chrome makes the front end look shinier, in the other hand black makes it look more agressive, separating the lenses in each healight. Hmmm..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now comparing the last picture with the french chromed one i see why the french seemed odd, the yellow fog with chrome dont mix well.
Clear corners+chromed euros+grill mod+color keyed 2.3-16 bumpers...Hmmm :)

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
Now comparing the last picture with the french chromed one i see why the french seemed odd, the yellow fog with chrome dont mix well.
I agree. I think the main reason that I didn't like the Bosch's on mine was because of the yellow fogs, I do like the ones pictured above

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
After seeing the chrome ones, I think they may be my favorite.

Not sure if they would look good on all cars, but they defiantly look good on that one.

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts
amber

Where might one find a set of the "French" amber-colored fog lights? Or are they available anymore? Thanks.
Hemersam

1 - 20 of 24 Posts