Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm curious -- can anyone tell me which is the most reliable, sturdiest mid 1990's Benz? I'm in the market, and I've heard that it is the "pre-model change" 320 E -- is that true?

Thanks!
Foof

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Like vwbuge said that is a tough question, however I would have to say that the 300E and t...

Like vwbuge said that is a tough question, however I would have to say that the 300E and the 190E 2.3 are probably the most reliable and best built. The E320 (pre '94) are also good (so I have heard) but I can't really say about that. A nice 300E with a set of newer style wheels and european lights can look very nice! check out this one!

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Hi,
I'm curious -- can anyone tell me which is the most reliable, sturdiest mid 1990's Benz? I'm in the market, and I've heard that it is the "pre-model change" 320 E -- is that true?

Thanks!
Foof
1995 E 300 Diesel would be the winner hands down! Reliabilty, economy and size. These cars were built to outlast any of the other models of the same vintage!

[:D]

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
This is true - I thought you would all scoff, but I love the diesels, however I find most ...

This is true - I thought you would all scoff, but I love the diesels, however I find most people aren't crazy about them so... Just watch out for the early ones - 1990-1992 or '93 - they had some con-rod issues (soft connecting rods that some times bent). It's not that common but look out for it - If I recall it usually happens when the turbo gets clogged or backed up with grime and puts back pressure on the pistons. Check for a clean turbo!

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Re: This is true - I thought you would all scoff, but I love the diesels, however I find most

This is true - I thought you would all scoff, but I love the diesels, however I find most people aren't crazy about them so... Just watch out for the early ones - 1990-1992 or '93 - they had some con-rod issues (soft connecting rods that some times bent). It's not that common but look out for it - If I recall it usually happens when the turbo gets clogged or backed up with grime and puts back pressure on the pistons. Check for a clean turbo!
The three turbos I owned were all great cars! An '83 300 TD Sedan, an '85 300 TD Wagon, and a '93 300 SD. You will not find a better daily drive than a 240 D! For a pocket rocket, the '87 190 D Turbo is fun. They only made it for '87 but what a fun little Diesel! A friend has two and let's me drive one of them once in awhile. I guess you could say there is a diesel cult out there, but I have owned as many gasoline-engined Mercedes-Benz as Diesels. Still like the longevity of the Diesel engine.

[:)]

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Absolutely - I didn't mean all the turbodiesels - I had just heard about the early W124 ch...

Absolutely - I didn't mean all the turbodiesels - I had just heard about the early W124 chasis turbos, but I don't think thats a common issue. Oh yeah - after buying my diesel I soon learned about the "diesel cult" and soon became a "member"! Like it says on my sig: DIESEL POWER!!
[:p]

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
Re: This is true - I thought you would all scoff, but I love the diesels, however I find most

Hi, we have a 1989 S124 300TD atmospheric diesel,
en I tell you, It just wont stop going, it now has more than 300.000 miles and I am surprised every day how well it performs....

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Diesels Return in 2004

Mercedes-Benz will re-introduce the E-Class Diesel in 2004 as a 2005 model. After a five year abscence it will be good to have it back! It will be turbcharged. 34 mpg.

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
Hi Ed,

I am on the Gelaendewagen forum as well, and see you there from time to time. ...

Hi Ed,

I am on the Gelaendewagen forum as well, and see you there from time to time. This is great news. I still hold out hope that MB will be allowed to use the 270 cid in a G wagen. They have lots of diesel engines we should be using here. This must mean we will have diesel fuel that offers cleaner burning. What does this mean for our older diesel engines, will they easily use the newer fuels. I currently use the best diesel sold by Texaco - "premium", but it is still not clean enough to be of the type to allow the MB engines into the country. Our fuels must improve first.

Thomas

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Diesel Engine Returns

Hi Thomas, yes, we will have to improve the fuel. I too, use Texaco Premium Diesel. I was using AMOCO until the station merged with Shell in my neighborhood. As you know, Freightliner is marketing the Sprinter Van with the 270 engine. I'm sure we will see more from MB on this. I will keep the forum advised as more information is available.

·
Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
Diesel is definitely the winner

I have owned Mercedes since I was sixteen years old. I bought my first diesel three years ago, and have to say I will never go back to a petrol (gas) engined car for an everyday driver (but will always buy Mercedes of course!). You just cannot compare the reliability and economy (both in fuel costs and repair costs) of a diesel.

In regards to the new Benz diesels - I can't wait! Now there is finally a car coming out that I'll be able to upgrade to.

I've also noticed the 270CDI transit vans around now. UPS has bought one to deliver packages to my area (very rural, so I guess a cheap to run diesel makes a lot of sense for them). I had to look twice and pinch myself when I saw it, for a second I forgot I was in Canada (I am used to seeing these vans on trips to Europe and Australia).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.