Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are some recommended brake pads for the W164? Is stock pad the way to go or are there better pads for the price.

·
Registered
452 Posts
what are some recommended brake pads for the W164? Is stock pad the way to go or are there better pads for the price.
Over the years,and on several MB products, I have always used OEM pads and rotors. Many say they prefer aftermarket parts for less dust and other reasons.If indeed you decide to go to aftermarket pads, you should invest in new rotors to match the particular pads. MB matches metals in the rotors for softness etc with their own pads which will cause rotor problems inc noise,using aftermarket pads on MB rotors. MB pads and rotors are available at wholesale prices online for a lot less than the dealer will ask, giving you the option of DIY or having the dealer match the wholesale price and provide the labor

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Agree that OEM is the best way to go. These were engineered to match up with all the other components

·
Registered
2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
711 Posts
Hate to be a contrarian, but I don't think oem is necessary. I have had plenty good luck with wagner thermo quiet. Although, going oem does save hassle of looking for decent quality since there is wide variety of quality out there.

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
Hate to be a contrarian, but I don't think oem is necessary. I have had plenty good luck with wagner thermo quiet. Although, going oem does save hassle of looking for decent quality since there is wide variety of quality out there.
+1

Pretty much every manufacturer "matches" pads with rotors, but I have used aftermarket pads on several vehicles with stock rotors. If Repco made pads that fit my ML, I'd change in a flash.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I dont think anyone said the word necessary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts