Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
300TD 1999
Discussion Starter #1
I am presently in market for a new battery for my1999 E300TD.

Have contacted typical places like Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, ect. I believe the battery sold by Mercedes Dealer is an Interstate Battery.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Looking to spend $125-$160 range.

Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Hope the link is not cookies-based.
$123 with 36 months warranty.
The internet special include the labor, but I would not let those guys touch my car. Just take old battery to the counter and pick up a new one.
Observe the internet price as in-store is going to cost more.
crazy 馃檳

Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Get the gold plus battery with the discount coupon that you can find online ($30, $40 whatever). Walmart sells the same with a different name. The most important thing is get the alternator charging. Else your new battery will soon degrade and die. With Johnson Controls consolidated, only few manufacturers left.

Registered
Dallas, Texas
I am presently in market for a new battery for my1999 E300TD.

Have contacted typical places like Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, ect. I believe the battery sold by Mercedes Dealer is an Interstate Battery.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Looking to spend $125-$160 range.
Get a volt meter.

Registered
I've commonly seen the Walmart H8 size battery ( the new Group 49) for $118 many times around my area. I've bought expensive batteries in the past (Optima, other AGM, Platinum, longer warranty).
Here's what I've decided:
1) Walmart is in nearly everytown in the USA.
2) most are open 24 hours a day
3) other factors can happen (examples- wrecks, deer, car sale/purchase, early battery killing malfunctions, ect)

The cost savings initially & the convenience factor & 50 state/most towns warranty exchange all add up to be the best option.
Buy the Walmart H8 battery & photocopy the receipt. Place a copy in the glove box & put another copy in a zip lock back & tape to the side of the battery.

Registered
300TD 1999
Discussion Starter #8
Finally narrowed choice of battery to following. Any recommendations of which battery to purchase would be greatly appreciated. Batteries all are 900 CCA , similar warranty , and prices include taxes.

1) Napa Legend
$134.00

2) Pep Boys Champion
H8-900CH
$105.00

3) Pep Boys Premium
H8-900CHP
$133.00

4) Pep Boys
Bosch Premium
H8-900B
$129.00

Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
Walmart has an Everstart H8 AGM that was $150 a few months ago.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 195K miles
I just bought one of these for my 2003 E320 Wagon. $149.76 before tax. 5 year over the counter warranty!

Registered
300TD 1999
Discussion Starter #11
Kajtek, the battery your referring is on my list H8-900CH for 105.00 tax included. What is your thoughts on Bosch Premium for $129.00 and Napa Legend for $134. Looking at my list which one would you recommend regarding best value? Since all these batteries were listed to be used for 1999 E300TD I am assuming they have proper ventilation.

Registered
Since all these batteries were listed to be used for 1999 E300TD I am assuming they have proper ventilation.
Still checking that is advised.
PepBoys have internet orders special of 25% off, at least in my location. You have to order it online and pick up at local store to get the 25%. Scratch the labor.

Registered
300TD 1999
Discussion Starter #13
Katjek1, the prices I have listed include the 25% discount from Pep Boys. At this point just trying to pick a battery that offers the best value based on price, performance., and reputation. Looking at my list which one would you recommend-Napa Legend, Bosch Premium, Pep Boy Champion or Pep Boy Premium?

Registered
I lucked last year picking up Bosch with 96 months warranty. From what I see they discontinued the warranty.
With today's batteries the warranty is what you have to go by and seem all new generation batteries are S**t.
The times when Varta batteries last 13-17 years are over.

Registered
300TD 1999
Discussion Starter #15
I was hoping that maybe one battery was better value than the others based on performance. The warrantles are all similar. I know there are only a few companies that actually make the batteries. I will probably purchase Napa Legend , but wondering if Bosch is better value.

Side note-my current battery is Interstate from Mercedes that is still under warranty till March. Was going to have Mercedes ck the battery , but was told by parts guy that if battery fails I get a new battery and no charge for tech time. If battery passes I was going to be charged a fee for like $100. To me that's absurd.

Registered
Sounds like now would be good time to buy battery tester. When that turns not easy task as well, the Solar tester is probably the best value and doesn't take the space load tester does.

Registered
Side note-my current battery is Interstate from Mercedes that is still under warranty till March. Was going to have Mercedes ck the battery , but was told by parts guy that if battery fails I get a new battery and no charge for tech time. If battery passes I was going to be charged a fee for like $100. To me that's absurd.
If you qualify for MB roadside assistance, you can play dirty trick.
Leave your headlights on for couple of hr till the car will not crank anymore and call them.
Just don't use my name for referral馃敤.

Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
I was hoping that maybe one battery was better value than the others based on performance. The warrantles are all similar. I know there are only a few companies that actually make the batteries. I will probably purchase Napa Legend , but wondering if Bosch is better value.

Go to Autozone or some other auto parts place and have it tested with a pro battery analyzer like Midtronics MDX-P300, and have a printout. They should do it for free or almost free. Then take the printout to the seller. The problem will be aging of a battery vs. genuine defect. They may claim that your car's charging system is not up to par, and that may be the case.

Registered
+1 on battery tester. I just got one and they're great! About $40 on Ebay. With multiple cars, it's a must have!

Will test voltage, CCA, internal resistance, charging system and cranking time!

Registered
Know this isn't on your list, Everstart maxx ($119) from Walmart with 3 year warranty was highly rated by Youtuber Farm Project.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts