Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SEL Astral Silver/Silver blue leather,Michelins,SONY
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Antenna motor dead. Antenna system is NON OEM piece that somebody put into this car, apparently a short time before I bought it, because I am SECOND owner.
I want to go back to stock, OEM antenna system. I fear the dealership will want a king's ransom for the whole thing, mast, motor etc. Anybody know of a more reasonably priced source for what I need? I'd really not like to go used on this item. Thanks.:)

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,158 Posts
Try Mclare, he has genuine ones that he has serviced. Much cheaper than the new article and just as good.

·
Registered
1968 gto (sold) , 91 volvo 740, 89 $300TE, 89 560SEC
432 Posts
Try Mclare, he has genuine ones that he has serviced. Much cheaper than the new article and just as good.
+1.......

Or get a used one in a yard and put a kit in it. Kit's about $30.00.

My SEC was the same way, I just swapped it back to a Hirschman last weekend. Only thing I had to do was rewire the harness connector, and install new seal... If you get one from a yard, cut about a foot of harness with it. I foresee some soldering in your future if it was like mine.

·
Registered
'95 993 / 2011 F150 Raptor SC / Land Cruiser D4D V8 / 500 SEC
439 Posts
The slightly more modern version from Hirschmann an be had from Conrad electronics for about 40 quid, and fits nicely. The same three control wires, althoug a different color. The bracket that comes with it makes it fit without modification.

Good luck,

Pete

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Thanks guys, yeah I have a few left. Got your PM Sourdough.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,342 Posts
my antenna for yrs only comes down half mast, and gets stuck there,

when the radio is powered on, it will rise fully.
How can i diagnose it

the wider shaft areas are sligfht rusted, or rougher but i have lubed them and pressed down on the top of the antenna as it was powering down to see if i could push it in.

i dont know if i need new internals or shaft

this sounded very R rated, but thanks guys

·
Premium Member
107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
5,924 Posts
These antennae don't respond well to lubrication. You could take the rust off with steel wool then polish it real good with a polishing rag. Don't lubricate it, it just gets gooped up.

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
+1 on that. I just clean it thoroughly with a slightly oiled rag - do not ever spray something on the antenna or it will gunk up and die in a year...

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
yeah the wd40 luckily didnt make it worse, illl have at it with a steel brush

·
Registered
1987 560SEL Astral Silver/Silver blue leather,Michelins,SONY
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You don't need a STEEL brush to clean the antenna mast. Just use some 0000 steel wool lightly and then wipe mast clean. I guess you COULD wipe it with some graphite but that would be about all you need on it.....as the other said, no grease, oil, WD40 etc as that is asking for trouble.
Incidentally, I think I have a used antenna coming. When I called the closest dealer they qouted $440 exchange for a new one.
I swear I do NOT know what those people are smoking!!!

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Yeah, I have 5 good units, they all just need new masts. If anyone wants one, PM me.

I can put a aftermarket mast in, or a genuine Hirschmann one, just depends on what you want.

·
Registered
1990 R129
75 Posts
I wouldn't use WD40 for lubing ANYTHING.
It's not a LUBE! It's a water displacer with a light carrier lube in it, that dries up sticky.
Use real lubes on things that need lubing, and NEVER use that crap on door locks or padlocks.

·
Registered
1990 R129
75 Posts
I repaired my original Hirschman with parts from internet somewheres...it was fairly easy and very satisfying!
See if you can score a Hirschman from the junk yard.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I repaired my original Hirschman with parts from internet somewheres...it was fairly easy and very satisfying!
See if you can score a Hirschman from the junk yard.
He already got one from me and it's on its way.

·
Registered
1985 300SD with a bad transmission and a 1985 300SD with a good transmission
578 Posts
I wouldn't use WD40 for lubing ANYTHING.
It's not a LUBE! It's a water displacer with a light carrier lube in it, that dries up sticky.
Use real lubes on things that need lubing, and NEVER use that crap on door locks or padlocks.
Or guns! Every now and then I'll see someone who tried lubing a gun with WD-40. As these people have said, don't use it for anything :) I lube metal with a light coat of 0w-40 mobil 1 synthetic, but if they're saying don't lube your tube...then don't do it.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
If anyone still needs an antenna, I have two left out of this batch of 12 I have built. Both are 5 pin units, and one is fully rebuilt with a new Hirschmann mast and gear set for $200.00 plus shipping, and the other is a Uro masted unit with stock, but good condition gears, for $100.00.

PM me if interested.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
ok so i used some fine grit sandpaper to smooth the mast down pretty good but im still having it stick

so i have a 4 tier mast, and lets call the base number 1 and top skinny one 4

number 2 sticks. When the radio goes on , 1 comes up, 2 is already up and then 3 and 4 make their way up. On the way down its obviusly backwards, but 2 doesnt sink into 1.

now i believe i do have a hirshman as there is a little H symbol on the top of the mast antenna. and the unit looks like an H

when the antenna goes up there is a little rattle sound....so basically i dont know whats the issue. if its motor or mast or something..

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
If you are going to lube it with anything, use White Lithium grease. Use a rag and smear it on and wipe it in, not leaving any residue or clumps on the mast.

Otherwise, sounds like you need to rebuild it, or get one of my rebuilt units.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
from what i have described does it sound like the issue is the mast or the internals

i honestly dont know all the components of the system and what the sign and symptoms are for the various parts that can go wrong

1 - 20 of 23 Posts