Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 80GB Ipod Classic (6th Generation) that I want to leave hooked up in my glove box. However, when I turn the car off, the ipod appears to be still connected. I don't want to mess up the ipod battery, and I really don't want the ipod to continue to drain the vehicle's battery. What has been your experience? I went back to the car 5 minutes after leaving it "as is" and the display on the ipod said "Ok to disconnect" but the song that was just playing was still listed on it.

For those of you with factory ipod integration..do you just unhook it every time? (I didn't want to have to do that)

Thanks...please be specific in your reply! :)

Haze

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hey sorry to be off topic here..but I have a Canadian model with evreything in the car accept for teleaid and no upholstry leather. Do i have the ipod integration kit in my car? And if so..where wud it be located? Thanks aye.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey sorry to be off topic here..but I have a Canadian model with evreything in the car accept for teleaid and no upholstry leather. Do i have the ipod integration kit in my car? And if so..where wud it be located? Thanks aye.
It is a long cord in the glovebox with an iPod end plug.

If you have it from the factory, it should appear as a separate item on your window sticker.

·
Registered
19 Posts
RE: HazeMonster - Ipod

I have the factory installed IPOD integration kit.

I only have a IPOD mini (with the USB plug) generation #1.

I also have an adpater that plugs into my IPOD and then to the Car. This adapter is made by Kensington and the connects from traditional IPOD plug and the other end has a USB plug where I connect up my IPOD.

Every time I goto "AUX" and the dashboard states:

IPod
"please wait"

Then,
Error

Doesnt' work.

Might be a problem with the adapter.

(and yes Hazemonster, you need to remove it each time is my understanding from the dealership).

Any ideas why this is NOT working? Am I missing something?

I guess it might be time to upgrade to a newer IPOD model.

But I have no idea which one to upgrade to. I guess I can do some research in the Apple store.

Thanks for any insight,
[email protected] - email me here.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just bought an 80GB Ipod Classic (6th Generation) that I want to leave hooked up in my glove box. However, when I turn the car off, the ipod appears to be still connected. I don't want to mess up the ipod battery, and I really don't want the ipod to continue to drain the vehicle's battery. What has been your experience? I went back to the car 5 minutes after leaving it "as is" and the display on the ipod said "Ok to disconnect" but the song that was just playing was still listed on it.

For those of you with factory ipod integration..do you just unhook it every time? (I didn't want to have to do that)

Thanks...please be specific in your reply! :)

Haze
I have an Old Skewl 40Gig iPod, (its not even a color screen, but click-wheel, maybe 3rd or 4th Gen, thats how old school it is) that I leave hooked up all the time. It works great, just as described in the iPod integration manual. It's my Merc dedicated iPod so if the battery dies or quits running i get on eBay and spend $20 for a new (old) one. I haven't had any battery issues at all. I just feel that Merc wanted this upgrade to be for people who already have iPod's, so they designed it for older generation iPod's since thats what people mostly have. But i have heard that newer gernation iPods still work in it. :givemebeer:

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have a I-Pod Mini (1st gen) hooked to my factory installed adaptor and leave it in all the time no problems so far.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the 1st gen (even older) ipod lol it works no problem leaving it plugged in. In fact I bought that ipod used just for the car and not to take it out. haha

·
Registered
686 Posts
All of the ipods that i have seen have a charge monitor circuit which means that once the battery is charged the ipod will drop into a low power (standby) mode. Once in standby the ipod will draw no more than 2mA which is good for a month or more in the car. I would only worry about unplugging the ipod if you plan on leaving the car for a long time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ipod

hmmms, i'm using my ipod...but the quality sound/loudness coming from the Ipod is not as good as using the DVDs...i m thinking that i made a mistake on ordering the Ipod Kit....i have burned 6DVDs worth of music...that' over 25GB of music....will take years to listen to all these songs:eek:eek....for those of you that haven't ordered your car yet....IPOD is not necessary...IMO

:eek:

·
Registered
109 Posts
hmmms, i'm using my ipod...but the quality sound/loudness coming from the Ipod is not as good as using the DVDs...i m thinking that i made a mistake on ordering the Ipod Kit....i have burned 6DVDs worth of music...that' over 25GB of music....will take years to listen to all these songs:eek:eek....for those of you that haven't ordered your car yet....IPOD is not necessary...IMO

:eek:
I disagree, I only use my IPOD now. I use to have a sound problem before but then I went to the parts department and ordered the ipod amplifier booster (a missing part not included in the kit). Plus with the mp3 dvd's its not worth it cause it takes forever to load up the disc. I like the dvd video sound though, its the best, better than my cd sound.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I really had no choice as I bought the car off the lot. If you have the MM the PCMCIA reader makes the I-Pod redundant also. I really only use mine as I had a Harmen-Karden Drive & Play (much better interface) in my last car so the I-Pod is all ready loaded with my favorite music.

·
Registered
44 Posts
IPOD booster?

hmms, so was it free? what was the charge? If it's free, i like to have them install it and try it again...heheh:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
ipod kit is awesome, just got it installed and i love it...i use my iphone with it and i can still use phone via bluetooth and it mutes the music when a call comes in. Steering wheel can fully navigate playlists, artists, songs, albums, etc...you just have to use the "end call" button on the steering wheel as the back button because when it starts it goes to random shuffle and plays any song, hit the "end call" button to go to main menu and you can navigate to any playlist etc. Just a tip because it took me a little while to figure out....hitting every button i could see until i got to the main ipod menu : )

Also, I have to raise the volume slightly when playing the ipod but nothing crazy that would require an amplifier that some people mentioned, only about 10-20% more....something I normally run into anyways going between cd and radio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do not have the extra amp the other person mentioned but noted the sound was a bit low....thru the sound system and then when disconnected and turned on the radio the sound was really loud.....is this normal.....any comments.....maybe my ipod volume shud have been pumped up....

·
Registered
6 Posts
i am a Chinese
when I go to the dealership to see the ipod kid
and the display on the cockpit doesn't or does not display chinese
if i get navi
any chance it will display chinese ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts