Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I'm not alone in noticing the agonizingly slow refresh/access time on this site. I subscribe to other motorsports websites and none are as slow as this site. Is it the graphics? Is it the server speed? Is it something we the users can fix?

This is a Mercedes Benz site; supporting the world's finest automobiles. Shouldn't the website reflect the high performance aspect of our cars?

What will it take? How much money per user should we pony up? If the Admins will provide a serious plan to address this you can count me in as a paid subscriber. Until then, I can't justify supporting the site financially. Too many other sites provide performance for their subscribers; this site seems to neglect them. I'd like to be part of the solution.

Andy

EDIT: when I submitted this post my screen went to a blank generic benzworld screen for 30 seconds and then appeared to lock up. Can someone explain this?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I run websites for a living and the only thing slowing this site is the advertising that is being sourced from somewhere else. Everything else loads fine.

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,126 Posts
I run websites for a living and the only thing slowing this site is the advertising that is being sourced from somewhere else. Everything else loads fine.
Ditto that. If there weren't so many ads, it would load quicker. As a premium member, you can disable some of them, such as the links in the posts, and I did, but, one morning, I logged on to find everything as it was before. Hmmm.
Firefox Ad Blocker works, too.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
Actually, all members can disable much of the advertising through the User Control Panel. Premium members can disable all, rather than most of it. Firefox with AdBlocker Plus is a must. IE is nearly useless here.

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
Firefox was useless to me and it wasn't until I switched to IE7 that this site really sped-up! The site used to run very slow most of the time a couple years ago, and still does on rare occasions, but when I move to IE everything worked perfect!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try to turn off the ads as suggested. Hopefully this will have an impact because this is the only site I have this issue with. Admittedly, this site does have its share of ads.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are lots of other sites you can use besides this one !!!!

There ARE a lot of other sites I use beside this one. Here's one of them and it doesn't take firefox, IE7 or buying a subscription to get quick response time. My point is that all things being equal, this site is slower than others.

FerrariChat.com - The Online Ferrari Forum and Community

And yes, I understand that its a free world and if I don't like it I can go elsewhere. But that mentality doesn't accomplish anything. I value the community associated with this site and try to return value as often as I can. I'm not just sitting here taking pot shots at people and being critical.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I'll try to turn off the ads as suggested. Hopefully this will have an impact because this is the only site I have this issue with. Admittedly, this site does have its share of ads.

How do you turn off the ads? I find this site slower than any of the others I use too.

Len

1 - 10 of 10 Posts