Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Luke, I transferred this from the general forum.

Benz Low Profile Rims

Hi guys,

Well....I'm living and learning.

Call me dumb, but I never knew that low profile tires only last to around 25,000 miles, and are so expensive. No one bothered to tell us at our time of purchase.

We have a 2005 C-Class 230 Sedan Kompressor Sport.

Now don't get me wrong...we love this car, and these wheels and tires really make for a great ride!

But my wife just had to have her first tire change, and $650.00 was the cheapest we could find those tires that were still of any quality. General Tires were the brand.

We had Mercedes do the tire change and they called back and said....2 of your rims are bent...but we can fix them, but it will cost you another $100.00.
So what do you do....you're stuck. I feel like we got taken for a ride.

My wife and I have never bent a rim in both of our lives. Now, all of a sudden...2 of them are bent? WTF?

They told us that low profile rims are bent more easily due to the lower tire wall being able to cushion the bumps as good as a regular tire would.

QUESTION: Would some of you out there be so kind as to share your experiences with Benz Low Profile tires and rims?

ALSO: Where do you go to get the best deals on tires?

1-MORE: Would you guys suggest putting regular Benz rims on this car? If so...which 2 sizes? The front and back are different.

Thanks.....Black Cat..... [:D][:D]

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
You have regular MB wheels. There are no low profile wheels, just low profile tires. It is true that wheels are more likely to be bent with low profile tires.

The worst place to buy tires is at the MB dealer. The sponsor of this forum is a good place to start shopping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the prompt replies Lynn & Luke!

I really do watch the air pressure..but..who knows what happened.

With that car, and those rims, can I simply put regular size tires on them, or will that cause fender well or speedometer problems?

Thanks....BlackCat [:)]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ALSO HAVE LOW PROFILE TIRES, WORST TIRES EVER.. FACTORY TIRES WERE CONTI'S
DUMPED THEM AT 4,000 MI AFTER SIDEWALL FAILURE. BEEN DRIVING 65 YEARS, NEVER HAD A SIDE WALL FAIL. REPLACED WITH TIRES MADE BY FEDERAL, 2PLY SIDE WALLS, CONTI'S HAD ONE PLY. SO FAR SO GOOD. SO MUCH FOR "ONLY THE BEST WILL DO" FROM MERCEDES.
D. ROSSI

1 - 5 of 5 Posts