Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And I am giving the shop manager advice on it! The most important thing to me is to make sure all electrical connections are fully continuous meaning di-electric grease, and solid clean, even added, grounds. Today there is spark at the plugs and he didn't tell me what color was burning. I am taking the high road and since it still doesn't start believe that there is some resistance. I just bought this car not running and restoring an 1984 420 prior with good results. I did not have a place to drag it to that storage units reject non working cars. So off to the shop it went and while the manager is pretty young, at least he is listening or appears to. I had went over all fuses before, told him to install high performance plugs and last told him to measure fuel pressure. I have octane booster and premium in the tank. I told him to clean off the cold start valve, grease relays (conductive), grease the ECU save for crossing continuity, testing the oxygen sensor, installing a new rotor (lightly greased), and cleaning the fuel screen in the tank. I still can't wrap my head around the fuel pump in the tank, that on my '84 420 it was behind the passenger rear wheel. The vacuum advance looks like the ones on the old 70s Beetles that I used to easily drop engines on. Any more pearls please tell! I would appreciate vintage Benz enthusiasts here in Austin, Texas! Thank you!:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah, I don't think the guy (not the shop manager) working on my car is bothering to put conductive grease on most of the connections like I asked because I've done it before and had good results. My tools all were taken, twice , and storage units will not let me drag my car there to work on it. I just need it started long enough to drive to my place and then I can get busy. I get that a lot "yeah we'll do it". It's crazy. It never used to be this difficult. It's as if the car should be fixed before they want to work on it and the shop manager was probably born the year it was built. Are there vintage Mercedes people in Austin?

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,386 Posts
Welcome to the forum Charlane Can you hear the fuel pumps run when you switch the ignition on Also have your garage personel check out the fuel pressure for you .Check if fuel is going to the injection distributor .Get him to open one of the hard lines going to the fuel distributotr to see if the metring unit is getting any fuel or not. Or remove a spark plug to see if they are wet with petrol you klnow then if fuel is in the cylinders .I dont think you have fuel . What type of engine is in the car .Also you need none resistor plugs nothing fancy .pm sent

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for responding. Yeah there was no action from the pump with the key in the on position. There was fuel on the plugs lightly. I asked him to test the fuel pressure with the "Schrader" valve. I do not know if he did this that he didn't appear to know what I was speaking about but when he called this morning it sounded like someone made him privy. The fuel smelled like paint thinner so I might have to deal with tank flush after pump installation.

Charlane

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called LKQ this morning to find a replacement for my boogered front bumper spoiler and I was told their inventory did not show the car but to go to the location and inquire. I was told that this spoiler might be in their pulled parts area. Does anyone have any info on location of a part like this?

Charlane

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh great. So the window regulator dumped on me the very day I had this car taken to the shop. I'm told that the replacement might have to come from Germany at about $400. Yeah, I've replaced regulators before and there isn't that much to these. Does anyone have a line on a driver's front side regulator for my 1986 190E? Thanks in advance!

Charlane

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm going to pull off the door panel myself and clean the contacts and grease the angles. I just don't see the regulator having a problem mechanically, but if not enough amperage is getting to the motor then this is not the fix described to me for 4 bills. I just need the tool to pull the push pins from the metal. Calling NAPA.

Charlane

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called NAPA. I got a part number for the plastic pry tools for the driver's interior door panel. The problem I see is that the plastic pins holding the panel might be brittle. I asked if NAPA had a part number for those and Tim told me that I had to bring one in to match it. I don't know that I will have that luxury. Does anyone have a part number I can refer to? Thanks.

Charlane

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,440 Posts
Welcome aboard! A lot of us here have been working on W201s for years and should be able to answer most of your questions.
I'll do my best to answer your questions
1.) No buzzing from fuel pumps could indicate fuel pump relay. Location is behind battery under plastic cover. Jump pins 7 and 8 and if you heard them start buzzing, then you know it's the relay.
2.) Body parts aren't too hard to find. Row52.com is your friend for finding cars in junkyards near you. Since you have an 86 it's an older style bumper, but you can put a newer style (89-93) on if you want.
3.) With window regulators the actual motors don't go bad. It's usually the plastic clip that holds the lift mechanism to the rail. Genuine Mercedes regulator is $175 at autohausaz.com without motor. Ebay also has them https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mercedes-W201-190E-190D-Front-Driver-Left-Window-Regulator-With-Motor/153223305055?hash=item23acd2175f:g:HZsAAOSwRDpbxzQv

Also, here's the writeup on window regulator replacement
I use a set of cheap pry tools from Harbor Freight, they're less than $10.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh thank you! I did not know where that blasted relay was that I found the fuse box and cleaned fuses and the relays there and applied conductive grease minding continuity. I got response there that I know of. I asked the shop manager to tell his man to please use the grease on the electrical connections and I just have this feeling that he isn't. I asked if he heard the pump buzz with the key on and he said no which could be relay related. If replacing the pump doesn't work meaning there is still no buzz then old boy ignored me yet again. I know if I want something done then do it myself and alas! No tools yet again because they are taken from me and I mean Craftsman. I will be getting tools from Autozone this time!

Charlane

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI I got a hold of a 1984 420 that sat for 2 years and dragged it home. I replaced all the filters and lubes, cleaned and applied conductive grease to all connections and put premium and octane booster in the tank after checking cylinders compression. That baby fired up! And I didn't have to buy pumps and chase my tail with engine varnish. So I don't think I need this fuel pump either but I am going to go thru with it and when they tell me that didn't work am going to have to go back over there and do my thing. I can't drag the car to my place if it isn't running and I feel I'm just hanging because others have control over my situation and being female does not help.

Part number anyone? For the door panel push pins......

Charlane

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for responding. Yeah there was no action from the pump with the key in the on position. There was fuel on the plugs lightly. I asked him to test the fuel pressure with the "Schrader" valve. I do not know if he did this that he didn't appear to know what I was speaking about but when he called this morning it sounded like someone made him privy. The fuel smelled like paint thinner so I might have to deal with tank flush after pump installation.

Charlane

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Charlane. Are those mechanics MB certified? You should find certified MB mechanics near your area to avoid hassles and headaches.
I'm annoyed with mechanics who don't know their stuff.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What you said. No they are not MB certified. Now I just had a conversation with the shop owner that I appreciated. When we last talked the manager said I needed a new fuel pump. Instead the shop owner told me he was getting outside help to trace the circuit which I appreciate. I got him to say that they gave the pump power straight from the battery bypassing the relay. The pump is $200-$250. I figured they would slap that on then next tell me the relay was bad for another $200 (from AutoZone). So I told him thank you for getting that outside help. I mentioned again that I had concerns that the conductive grease I was charged for was not being applied that I have seen many glassy eyes when I drive this point home. The owner said he would tell his man. Maybe if it's said enough it will happen. It should be a couple more days.

Charlane

·
Registered
12 Posts
What you said. No they are not MB certified. Now I just had a conversation with the shop owner that I appreciated. When we last talked the manager said I needed a new fuel pump. Instead the shop owner told me he was getting outside help to trace the circuit which I appreciate. I got him to say that they gave the pump power straight from the battery bypassing the relay. The pump is $200-$250. I figured they would slap that on then next tell me the relay was bad for another $200 (from AutoZone). So I told him thank you for getting that outside help. I mentioned again that I had concerns that the conductive grease I was charged for was not being applied that I have seen many glassy eyes when I drive this point home. The owner said he would tell his man. Maybe if it's said enough it will happen. It should be a couple more days.

Charlane
Wow. Glad we don't have to suffer in silence here...in Austin, Texas, I would think you would be over run with mechanics that are well qualified. Here in the Ozarks their eyes roll back in their heads over these cars. I have a mechanic in Springfield if I need major surgery. This 190E hopefully will be a fun project here on the farm.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So for the front bumper valance/spoiler, you know that long plastic grill under the front bumper, I have part number MB1000129 and I think this is OEM number 1248802570. Can anyone tell me if I have accurate part numbers? Thank you!

Charlane

1 - 20 of 151 Posts