Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people , my Benz's red ''engine oil sensor '' light has been on for a few months .... It would start it and drive it , maybe 20 mins into the drive the
red ''engine oil sensor '' would come on , and once it did it would be stuck in gear .... now , it is stuck in first gear .... i have read elsewhere it could be minor like it could be major .... HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN ? AND KNOWS WHAT THE PROBLEM COULD BE , WHETHER MINOR OR MAJOR .! THANKS

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Welcome.

Please click user cp and edit details to add your vehicle and location to your profile, that's often useful information when you're seeking assistance.

Driving around with warning and sensor alerts is generally not a good idea. And your issue could minor or major, and it sounds as though you are now in limp mode. Those may or may not be related.

Unless you are a skilled DIYer (and we should be honest, if you were a skilled DIYer you'd have already taken care of it and not ignored the alerts) then the best thing to do is find a good indie and let them diagnose it. The diagnosis hopefully will not take long or be very expensive, but at least then you will know what your'e dealing with. There are some regional suggestions for shops if you don't already know of one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I agree, the car is now in 'Limp' mode, its shut down and is attempting to prevent you doing further damage. The sensors in and arround the engine are there for reasons, and althoguh it is true to say that occosianlly the sensors can play up generally they are very accurate. If you have been driving with the oil light on for ages, then why did you not check the dip stick to see if you are low on oil? Also did you find your engine temp was higher too?
First check the oil level and add some more oil if low, you will need to see under the car if you have a leak.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys , my problem is transmission related , my engine oil was fine , its my tranny oil , the ''Engine oil sensor '' was related to my tranny oil not my Engine oil , even though it says ''Engine'' oil sensor ...... So ya now my Car is Stuck in 1st gear ......... I have stored it for the winter and plan to get it checked in the spring but any ideas as to what it is would be useful before i go to Benz .... Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I think that you are mistaken here. Why would the engine oil sensor refer to the transmission ATF?

The engine oil sensor is located in the sump, and checks level and quality of the oil. There is no equivalent sensor for the transmission. Are there any signs of leakage anywhere?

This is what Limp-home mode is all about:

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Keyhole , thanks for that attached info ! I know for a fact it is not my actual ''Engine oil '' , i changed it twice in 2months , its probably related to my tranny , maybe my tranny oil is empty , i do not have a dipstick for the tranny oil like you guys all know (clk 320) , so its probably refering to my Tranny oil since it's the tranny giving me problems .... I do not seeing leakage on my driveway or anywhere i go , but i do hear some noises once im parked .... Has anyone had this happen or know about this issue ??

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Examine the ground where you park?....

Seriously if you really suspect that you might have lost some of your ATF, get a transmission dipstck from MB and check it yourtself. There are some rules to follow, but we can help here.

I'm interested in the red light that you say comes on. If your engine oil is known to be OK, what is this light telling you? Do you not have an Owner's Handbook?
Post a photo here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think there is a leak , but internally ..... I haven't seen any liquids on the ground .... The red light says exactly '' Engine oil sensor '' , however my actual ''Engine oil '' is fine it was changed when i bought the car in July aswell as when i went to Benz Dealer in September to have Balls joints etc. Changed .... They said a further diagnostic is required to determine what the ''Engine oil sensor '' Light is about .... It's obviously for my Tranny cuz its stuck in 1st gear ..... I read on another thread to have the clear the
ECU codes , followed by something else but dont remember , i have the link ... Anyways it is interesting that is says ''Engine oil sensor'' when its my Tranny's oil thats low or empty .... Does the car have a "Tranny oil sensor '' Light in the dash board perhaps ???

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For n e one with this issue , mine was resolved by changing conductor plate 126$ online , dealer wanted 455$ Lol !! Theif ass fucks .... and some wiring . :)

Sent from my LG-P990hN using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts