Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 SL500R Sport Pkg Pano roof
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever seen this? I had the car up on jackstands this afternoon. Replaced the steering damper and then got ready to attempt the transmission mount. (Did the motor mounts two weeks ago and trying to finish the job and get this baby to smooth out!) I got the rear bolt out of the mount no problem, but then was unable to get the socket onto the forward bolt. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the front lip of the tranny crossmember support has been bent backwards just enough that I can't get a socket in there. I gave it a few good whacks with a hammer to try to bend it out just enough to get to the bolt, but was afraid to go after it too hard, as I only had the car on two jackstands and my floor jack supporting the tranny.

Anyone ever seen something like this before, and if so, were you able to come up with a way to straighten it out or get the bolt out?

TIA,
Lowen

·
Registered
'03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, Tesla Model X
661 Posts
Be careful with jack stands!

Please be careful when applying lots of torque while you car is only on jack stands. My neighbor back in Germany got crushed to death by his own car, while attempting to swap a clutch.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
1,977 Posts
The crossmember is a pretty thick hunk of metal. It would take a pretty serious impact to bend it.

If it truly is bent, you might want to remove it (support the tranny first) from the car before hammering away. Personally, I'd investigate getting another (good) crossmember and do a through inspection of everything it bolts to as the tranny mount and chassis mounts could be compromised. Hopefully no damage was done to the tranny attachment points.

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
Heat that corner with a torch then try to smooth it out with a hammer and chesel.

once you have it backed up far enough to fit a socket over it, remove the bolt, then finish flattning the cross member with a flat headed hammer while its out.

not a bad idea when you're done, to spray it with some black paint or undercoat, so it covers the hammer marks.

as said before, it take some brutal force to bend that thing, did the car fly off a curb?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts