Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took everones advice and put some brand new PS2's on the 600 yesterday. When they were taking the old tires off the shop noticied that I had a bent rim. Just my luck! I think I bought the car this way and just never noticied. The new tires make the ride 100% better but there is still a slight vibration coming from that rim. I have a few options. I can have a shop straighten it for about $300, buy a new rim from the dealer thats about $550, or buy this set on craigslist in my area. The problem with that is I only need one rim. I checked ebay and didnt have any luck. Upgrading to another style of rim is out of the question because I just bought new tires. They are 17inch rims, Mercedes SL600 wheels and Tires
Can these places really get the rim back to being 100% true?

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
9,092 Posts
If it is a well fitted repair shop with an expert at re-aligning wheels and you have absolute confidence in them, get it straightened.
I would probably pay the extra $250 and get the new wheel though as the price difference isn't big bucks.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6 (SOLD) 2012 E 350CDI Cabrio 265 PS
4,544 Posts
Hi blahop I had a look at the rims in the advert and they look in nice condition and with a fair price too. I mean since you are in MN and winter gets snowy quite often they might get useful if you use your SL in winter too for a winter tires set. As for repairing your rim I know a few members had very nice jobs done with excellent results so that might be an option. There are also a few threads concerning the subject also recently.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
You might try looking at Discount tire. We had the same problem with our 95 SL 320. They can probably find used ones for you. We bought a used one from them for 100.00.

The are not a very strong rim and cannot take much flex in the side wall or they will bend when you hit a good pot hole or, God forbid a curb.

Good luck.

Ronw435

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,918 Posts
S I can have a shop straighten it for about $300
I think that price is high. I had my son's 18x8 BMW wheel fixed for $75. The wheel was oblong with bend lip and can't be balanced. I was looking for replacement when I came across "Wheel Doctor" in Fontana, CA. Brought the wheel and picked it up the following day. They showed me the before and after condition by putting it on the balancing machine. It was true and balance after it was fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts