Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Slk230 Limited Edition
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After i changed the pulley, now the belts are making a really loud squeak noise, both at idle and when i press the gas. I bought a new belt and used the one i got with the pulley. Any suggestions??

·
Premium Member
'00 slk230k (engine swap), '75 300D, 2011 GTI
1,528 Posts
I have the same problem, tried 3 or 4 different belt sizes as well... couldn't get rid of the problem, still in the process of getting rid of the terrible squeel...

Just to notify you, I also have the limited edition... so I have no doubt it is with our goofy design!

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
653 Posts
Are you sure you've got the belts properly tensioned? If they're slightly loose, they'll slip under load, which causes them to squeal.

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,664 Posts
how about a different belt size?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Squeal generally comes from loose belts, and is commonly caused by slippage. Just because a shop did the job doesn't mean it was done right... :)

Check the belt tension yourself, it shouldn't deflect more than 1" with moderate thumb pressue in the middle of the longest open run.

You might want to check the number of grooves in the belt as well, it's not likely, but someone might have grabbed the wrong belt.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Well we started with the size ASP recommended.. then we went down from there until the belt was the right tension... idk the details of what the did, i just know they did it properly.. they are a respectable shop and know what they are doin

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The belt that came with the pulley is very tight and the other belt i got from autozone and it does seem a little loose but its not falling off. I have been driving it for a couple days now really hard to. And the tensioners are automatic which i dont think i can adjust in any way besides pulling it down to place the belt on.

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
653 Posts
I would suspect the belt you got at Autozone. I'd get another belt from the dealer.
If the squealing occurs when you're accelerating or turning (presuming the car's got power steering), then the belts're probably loose (or worn). As someone else said, don't assume the tech who works on your car automatically must've gotten it right just because he works at a well-known shop.

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,664 Posts
try to get a belt from the dealer. think its better than autozone's

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i went to the dealer and they want $70 for the belt so i decided to put the original back on and still the same noise. Can it be because the belt is too tight, because the new belt that came with the pulley is really really tight right now?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Well i went to the dealer and they want $70 for the belt so i decided to put the original back on and still the same noise. Can it be because the belt is too tight, because the new belt that came with the pulley is really really tight right now?
That would warrent the question: Are you really sure that it's the belt squealing?
If things were quiet before and now there is noise, maybe it's not the belt?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Am pretty sure its the belt. I took a bottle of windex, the closest thing to me, and sprayed it on the belt and every time i would spray it the squeeking would stop but only for a few seconds and start back up...it squeeks at idel when the car is started and when gas applied, after the car warms up it doesnt squeek at idle but only when gas is applied.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Check for pulley alignment, see if any of the wheels are mis aligned as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have pushed the pulley in as much as i could and tightend it as well but the belts on the tensioners seem to be a little on the outside edge but are not falling off. Everything else seems to be in proper alignment.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
This is a problem that occurs with limited editions, it is the exact same on mine zlaja.

It will never fall off nor will it move any further past the point you are talking about. It does not decrease the performance, and no matter how much you move it back into position it will go right back within a few miles.

As far as the sound, you only solution is to use a spray and hope you find one that works. Currently my squeek is nonexistant.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, i have moved it couples of times but as soon as i turn on the car they come right back out...i have heard that some people use some kind of silicone spray but i havent gone to the store to look for it...what kind of spray are you using gakz??

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Honestly... i havn't used a spray, it just stopped making the sound about 3 days ago! I can't explain it, but right before the sound stopped there is a spray that wal-mart carries that works well. It falls in their automotive chemicals department. If I happen to be by wal-mart today or tomorrow I'll try to get the name

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How long have had the pulley on before the noise stoped and if you dont mind me asking, are you using the belt that asp provided?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts