Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a bunch of work on the car and so I have the radiator shroud off, the clutch fan and the water pump pulley off as well. A few days ago, the adjustment on the belt tensioner seemed to work fine. Today when I go to put the water pump pulley back on and the new belt, the tensioner seems stalled and I don't get enough slack.

I've gone past the adjustment, or I need a new tensioner. Looks like I have to take off that thin shared bracket and maybe swing the power steering pump outa the way to get the tensioner assembly out?? Appreciate a head's up and I'll also check the service manual.....

Kevin

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not a bad job....but helps to sit on a stool while you take everything apart.:rolleyes:

Power steering pulley, water pump pulley and bracket that holds the tensioner in place....all have to come off. Apparently...I didn't fully understand how this system works; the threaded stem on the tensioner adjustment is left-handed threads. Meaning that as you loosen the tensioner, the top nut assembly travels down towards the beginning of the thread. What I had done while the belt was off, was turn the top nut assembly clockwise, which made the top nut go to the end of the threaded shaft. No big deal but as I was watching how things worked, I was at the end of the shaft and the top nut assembly was grinding off the end threads.:eek:

Just stupid foolin' around on my part and all made itself apparent when I got everything out of the car. Fortunately, I had enough good thread left to gamble on reinstalling everything and it worked. That adjustment rod/top nut strips easily, tread warily!:thumbsup:

Kevin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts