Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I may have sold My 300 E! But I have this very bad squealing from the belt. I want the car right when the fella picks it up so I bought a new fan belt and took it down to my local small repair shop to have installed. He called me and said the tensioner was bad he said he could not tighten belt but also admitted he had never seen one "quite like it"! Could someone here explain how the adjuster works ? Is this spring or mech tension?? New tensioner from stealer is $175 so I want to be sure he is doing it right before I blow $175 clams ![:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(]

Smokie

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
What made him determine the tensioner was bad?... how did it fail?... bearing, or spring?

The tensioner is like any other - it's (internally)spring loaded. Sometimes they can freeze in one spot from corrosion, you may be able to exercise it loose.

Another problem is sometimes the belt develops a stretch over the years. It stretches to the limit of the tensioner, and needs to be replaced, even though the belt still looks good.

The squealing could be from one of the accessories starting to lock up.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not quite sure how he determined it was bad? Put on new belt. The CD manual I got from you had some pretty good pics of the unit! Going to take him some info on it this AM . It looks like the rod going to the tensioner tightens it up? Strange they would have this rod and spring loaded ? German enginering I guess![|)][|)][|)]

Smokie

·
Registered
E220 1994
72 Posts
The rod connecting from the thermostat housing down to the belt tensioner is the tensioner damper. It does not relate anyhting to tighten the belt. It only abdorbs the vibrations from the tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rod is the adjuster ! There is also a dampener that looks like a small shock! I think the rubber inside the tensioner let loose and just turns inside![:(!]I bit he bullet and bought new tensioner and rod! Europarts had best price of $100 vs stealer at $175. Should have them first of the week. Now installing it is another matter!!![:(!][:(!][:(!] Looks like a bugger!!But I got to make the customer happy!! Squealing fanbelt not got for a sale!![;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

Smokie

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
smokiesman - 4/3/2005 5:48 PM

The rod is the adjuster ! There is also a dampener that looks like a small shock! I think the rubber inside the tensioner let loose and just turns inside![:(!]I bit he bullet and bought new tensioner and rod! Europarts had best price of $100 vs stealer at $175. Should have them first of the week. Now installing it is another matter!!![:(!][:(!][:(!] Looks like a bugger!!But I got to make the customer happy!! Squealing fanbelt not got for a sale!![;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

Smokie
well, anyway, it's nice of you to go to all this trouble to make a customer happy [:)]

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
My indy said my belt tensioner is bad too and asked for $570 parts + labor. Too expensive. I searched the forum. Looks like to replace the tensioner, i have to remove the fan. a lot of work.

·
Registered
2001 C320 W203 Black on Black. 1997 E320 W210 Silver (RIP). 1995 E320 W124 Pearl Black.
595 Posts
On my 95 W124 E320 I can took the belt off with only remove the fan shroud then release the bolt that hold the center of the tensioner (16) and the adjusting rod (5), it's left hand threaded, CCW to released which bring the tensioner wheel toward passenger side and CW (rod pushing down) to tighten the belt. Hope this help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 M-BENZ 300E | 1991 FORD PROBE GT TURBO | 2003 FORD EXPLORER 4x4
684 Posts
What kind of belt are you having put on it? GoodYear Gatorback is the way to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts