Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1993 190E, 1978 300CD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, all!

I recently became the new owner of a 1993 190E 8v, which is a fun little car. In going over it, the belt is trashed and extremely loose, so I ordered a new one. But I have a couple of questions: It looks like mine is the one with the shock absorber on the top of the tensioner. Do I need to replace that as well?

The parts have not all come in yet, but I was doing some pre-replacement scouting, and the manual says to loosen the tensioner bolt on top a half turn or so to loosen everything up. I checked and mine wobbles. It isn't attached to anything! Maybe I don't need a tensioner after all, just the one I have put in correctly. The bolt I am talking about faces up and tightens a long all-thread type bolt that attaches somewhere behind the tensioner. Except mine isn't attached. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

ps. How do you get the fan bolt off? I can't get the fan/coolant pump to stay still to unscrew it.

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
As a reference, Autohaus Az sells a tensioner kit with hardware for the belt replacement. Its one of the over-engineered things on these cars that makes changing a belt, ..a mini project.
Your better off replacing these parts and following the repair instructions to the exact instructions. Once all the new parts are in and the belt is adjusted properly you should be good to go. The adjusting rod is easy to break if the correct sequence is not observed. I've never had good luck using tensioners over. They seem to hold for a while and then with no warning, ...loose belt.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6 AMG "Alma", 1990 190e 2.6 Black, 2001 230SLK Magma Red
944 Posts

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
thank you "fact 150" its been a while since i have dealt with the M102 tensioner and those service diagrams really helped to job my memory. im dealing with a busted tensioner bolt on one of my side jobs (92 190E 2.3L M102)

regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts