Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. i have a 1983 300sd. i need to replace the double belts that run the alternator, etc. is this something i could do on my own? or does it require lots of dismantling, special tools, etc? how many hours they charge at the dealer to replace these belts? thanks!

·
Premium Member
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Not sure about the diesels, but i think all the belts for both versions of the cars can be replaced with simple hand tools and a bit of muscling...

·
Registered
Perlmuttgrau 300SEL
1,006 Posts
relieve belt tensioner, remove and replace belt, tighten tensioner.

Where is the tensioner? I have no clue....

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
On the OM 617s there’s a mounting/tension bolt. You may need a pry bar or something with leverage to tighten them correctly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help guys. i know about the "alternator adjustment bolt." it has broken on me twice - but it is holding strong right now.

so it seems i must:

loosen alternator adjustment bolt
remove old belts
stretch new belts over pullys
tighten alternator adj bolt

i just wasn't sure if the new belts could be easily stretched into place.

also, it seems there are 2 choices of belts for this depending on if the engine has a metal fan or plastic fan (based on engine number). well, my 300sd came with a metal fan, but i had another 300sd engine with a plastic fan and this fan was installed in my current engine in place of my metal fan. does it matter which belts i get?

thanks again all.

·
Registered
560 SEL, SEC Koenig
107 Posts
If done correctly, you should Not have to ( stretch ) anything. If you are doing this job, get some Loctite antiseize lubricant, not compound, and remove the bolts, clean with a wire brush, apply lub and reinstall. If you follow this type of procedure with every job, you future repairs, etc., become much easier. If you are breaking bolts, especially more than once, you are doing somethng wrong. Also, purchase good belts, Some may diagree, but I use Gates
Premium belts and hoses. I have been using for over 25 years and have never been disappointed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
from what others have posted it doesn't look like any bolts have to be removed. the alternator adjustment nut needs to be removed, but that's it. to replace the double belts that run the alternator, etc i will need to remove all fours belts because the double ones are in the back. so, i will just replace them all since they will all have to be removed anyway.

the loctite antiseize lubricant is to lube the new belts so they slide onto the pullys easier??

the alternator adjustment bolt has broken on me before. it happened because the adjustment nut was too tight. and with new belts i would have to tighten it a bit less than with the old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts