Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300CE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 300CE with 104.980 Engine.
The belt is worn and I'm going to replace it, but I've been unable to find any recommendations for replacing the tensioner assembly, or perhaps just the tensioner pulley.
Is there a mileage recommendation for the tensioner parts, or it is a "when it fails" component?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,394 Posts
Chances are the belt tensioner is going to disintegrate (internal rubber bushing) when you release tension.

Best to get a new tensioner upfront from a good brand (no URO or Febi sh!t) before starting this job.

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,989 Posts
The older tensioners are basically a rubber puck that is tensioned. Usually they fail if old and the tension is released to change the belt. The rubber just can't take the flexing. I'd recommend just changing it if it's an unknown age, as it will likely fail shortly after doing the belt.

·
Registered
1992 300CE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx guys, that's kind of what I was thinking, but hadn't had any experience with MB tensioners.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does the V8 in a 400E have the same setup? I have to change my belt as well and want to have all the parts I will need. Also I found a new belt in the trunk left by the previous owner and it's some brand I've never heard of. Would I be ok to use this belt assuming it's the right size? The Mercedes belt I found online was close to $50 and would, like to save that if I can....

·
Registered
17,394 Posts
I wouldn't bother putting faith in a no name belt. Way too important to worry about.

·
Registered
17,394 Posts
Get the Continental brand and order it online such as autohausaz.com

Brick and mortar stores carry nothing for these cars other than windshield washer fluid.

·
Registered
95" W124/ E220 MasterPiece and 01" W210/ E200 KOMPRESSER
262 Posts
The correct and factory way...
The most difficulty part would be starting from "removing of the viscous fan."
You need a special tool like a counter-hold pin and insert it into the anchoring holes on the pulley
in order to hold the fan pulley tight.
Then loose the viscous central bolt and now you can remove the fan.

After that, u need to loosen the tensioner central bolt (H10) and the adjusting rod....
And now you can take out your belt...and put on a new one...

The "unconventional" way to change a belt...
Loosen the tensioner central bolt (H10) and its adjusting rod....
Loosen and remove the guide pulley above the generator pulley.
Take out the old belt and put on the new one...

Besides, there is a visible triangle marker on the tensioner.
Once installed and tightened, the indicator should be within the tensioning marker.
Or you will need a new tensioner and its absorber.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Factory manual has a article about the accessory engine belt...
You might consider to read this article and decide whether u need to change a belt or not.
Both Gates and Conti-Belt are great belt manufacturers and suppliers for BENZ....

Attachments

·
Registered
W124
5,173 Posts
Jimmy,
This is a confusing thread because we have jumped from an M104 to an M119. While it might be correct to remove all sorts of parts on an M104 (might), a belt change is a ten minute job on an M119 and nothing comes off. I believe I have done it on an M104 without removing anything either. Sometimes the guys at Mercedes get a little carried away with their repair procedures.

There is an old axiom that says: "If you want to find the quickest way to do something, give the task to a lazy person and watch how they do it". I'm the poster child for lazy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On my M119 V8, I looked at it but couldn't figure out how to adjust the tensioner, everything looks different from any instructions that I can find. The tensioner pulley itself has a bolt that could probably be loosened but I don't see anything else related to the tensioner....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Jimmy,
This is a confusing thread because we have jumped from an M104 to an M119. While it might be correct to remove all sorts of parts on an M104 (might), a belt change is a ten minute job on an M119 and nothing comes off. I believe I have done it on an M104 without removing anything either. Sometimes the guys at Mercedes get a little carried away with their repair procedures.

There is an old axiom that says: "If you want to find the quickest way to do something, give the task to a lazy person and watch how they do it". I'm the poster child for lazy.
A belt changing becomes more difficult if the car comes with a M104.980, compared to M104.992 or M104.994.
Mechanical tesioning devices on early M104 (also on M119 / M103 / M102) and automatic tensioner on late M104 or M119 have two, even three different setups respectively.... ..

Ways to change a belt are totally different, so it is indeed an experienced job in need of some guidance......Experienced people can always be some help to anyone, esp...when they are willing to share their know-hows. I learned from people like u and grateful to learn from people's sharing.

·
Registered
1992 W124 260E
65 Posts
Can one see the condition of the tensioner rubber when it's on the car? I noticed that my M103 belt is rather new but not sure about the condition of the tensioner..

·
Registered
W124
5,173 Posts
On my M119 V8, I looked at it but couldn't figure out how to adjust the tensioner, everything looks different from any instructions that I can find. The tensioner pulley itself has a bolt that could probably be loosened but I don't see anything else related to the tensioner....
The tensioner is spring loaded. You just unload it as you slip the belt over the tensioner pulley and that's it.

·
Registered
W124
5,173 Posts
A belt changing becomes more difficult if the car comes with a M104.980, compared to M104.992 or M104.994.
Mechanical tesioning devices on early M104 (also on M119 / M103 / M102) and automatic tensioner on late M104 or M119 have two, even three different setups respectively.... ..

Ways to change a belt are totally different, so it is indeed an experienced job in need of some guidance......Experienced people can always be some help to anyone, esp...when they are willing to share their know-hows. I learned from people like u and grateful to learn from people's sharing.
Not sure what a "late M119" is. Maybe you are saying that a small number of early M119s had the old style tensioner? My '92 400e had a spring loaded tensioner that is non-adjustable, same as on my '93 500e. My'94 e320 estate has the M104 and it too is a "drop in" affair - no adjustment. I'm sure you are right though about the early M104 having the old style tensioner.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The tensioner is spring loaded. You just unload it as you slip the belt over the tensioner pulley and that's it.
Holy crap, so I would just kind of push the pulley down to relieve tension and slip the belt off and vice versa to install the new belt? That seems TOO easy haha. My car is a '93 400E; i'm going to investigate this on my lunch break!

·
Registered
W124
5,173 Posts
Yes, its a breeze. The belt sort of "lays" over the engine and then you route it around the pulleys. It doesn't have to be passed through the gap between the fan and the radiator. Just make sure you draw a nice diagram of all the pulleys and how the belt wraps around them. Once you have done that, check to make sure its right before you remove the original belt.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts