Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is keeping the Belts lubricated with WD40 good for the ML? I'm thinking it will prevent it from drying up and cracking. Will it extend the life of the belts?

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
WD40 is a penetrating oil designed for metal applications. I would not use it on rubber products.
I doubt if there is much change in the belt lifetime associated with any lubricant. Let's hear what others say.

·
Registered
2000 ml 430
151 Posts
this seems like a real bad idea to me. you want some friction here; the belt is supposed to turn the pulleys. plus wd-40 is not good for rubber parts.
sorry, had to chime in on this one.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2005 C320 4matic
98 Posts
try it and you will see how bad idea it was! you do not want anything on the belts! replace them every 50 or 60 k that's it. why would you want to save more on that?

·
Registered
2000 ML320
181 Posts
I just had a new one put in at 63,000 miles. It seems to be good insurance just to replace it. Putting any type of petrolium product on it is a bad idea.
Mark

·
Registered
2000 ML430
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replys. I was just wondering because I had an old rubber band that was so dry and brittle that it just fell apart. First thing that pop into my head was teh belts.

Thanks for all teh replys

·
Registered
2000 ml 430
151 Posts
a friend of mine who ran a Shell station in Baton Rouge once told me to use LAVA soap, on the inside surface of course, while its running(!!!); this is for squealing belts that seem to be tight enough; cheap-o 'belt dressing'......(it worked, but you better be careful or you'll lose a finger or worse!)

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2005 C320 4matic
98 Posts
My dad was a car racer back in the day and he used to say all the time that the best thing for the belts is: when the car is off, spray or apply coca-cola all over the belt and let it dry before you start the car. i guess the sugar in the coke makes the belt not to make those anoying noises.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts