Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
W210 E240T
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 1983 300TD Turbo, which normally doesn't complain about anything. However, right now I have a problem.
The problem is that the pulleys on the front of the engine (bolted to the harmonic balancer?) are not rotating as they should. In fact, they are decidely lacking in rotational oomph altogether. For instance, I can grab the pulley on the steering pump and EVERYTHING stops except the engine.
The pulleys on the crank just stop, so then also do the alternator, cooling fan, water pump and air-con compressor (and the power steering which i am still holding).
Any suggestions, or been-there-done-that type advice before i start pulling out the radiator etc to see what's going on?
thanks in advance,
Chris.

·
Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
579 Posts
Start ripping all the belts off . The shear pins have sheared on the crank. Hopefully yo...

Start ripping all the belts off . The shear pins have sheared on the crank. Hopefully you have no crankshaft damage. You must remove the lower pulleys, harmonic balancer,hub, seal ring and seal. When you get that far write in to tell of the damage. Probably wasn't torqued properly.GOOD LUCK.........Kevin

·
Registered
W210 E240T
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Car is back on the road now, but the repair is likely temporary, unfortunately.
As suggested by BENZDOC (thanks!), the crank nut seems to have worked loose, allowing the pulleys and balancer to move forward a little. this was enough to shear the locating dowels so that the whole lot rotated separately from the crank. There was damage to the balancer and dowels (both now replaced) and to the crank (still in place). I was advised that the proper way to fix this was to pull out the engine, and replace the crank with a good 2nd hand one, along with new gaskets and bearings. The estimated cost for doing it this way amounted to some AUS$4300 (approx US$3100). Given the relativity between this sum and the value of the car, i decided not to do this right now.
So, it drives real good again, and i will wait to see whether this temporary repair will last 100km or 10000km.
Cheers,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.