Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inadvertenly got some coolant on the belt changing the T-stat. It made the belt squeak/slip. So got my can of belt dressing (gives belts traction, kinda sticky) out and began spraying the belt. It quieted at first, then began squeaking again. So I noticed it was not covering effectively.
But once I got the dressing in the V-ribs I noticed it quieted, then a new metallic sounding noise started. I checked each accessory with a screwdriver to the ear. Nothing abnormal. But the belt was not entirely covered in the dressing.
So I added more, got an even coat and the noise stopped.

What I'm thinking is, it was the tensioner shock, when the tensioner encountered grip, then no grip on the belt. I had heard when the tensioner shocks rubber ends wear it made a similar noise.

In the end both noises are gone, so anecdotal evidence, but I think belt condition may cause a rather unsettling metallic noise. Thankfully it was cured with a $2.99 can of belt dessing.

Anyone else encounter this?

·
Registered
Used to drive 1995 C280, Used to drive 1987 300E (wrecked, sitting in garage)
209 Posts
my tensioner shock went out, and it sounded like a damned diesel..

put like a rachet onto it and see if it shuts it up..

also never use dressing on belts they just dry them out

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,727 Posts
You do know that belt dressing is going to shorten the belt life, don't you?
Serpentine belt squeaking is not a good sign. I could understand that with coolant on it and alternator recharging the battery after the repair -it could give some noise till the belt dries, but I would suspect you have a bearing locking up and that is what cost slippage. Remove the belt and move all the components by hand.

·
Registered
Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
4,103 Posts
^^^^Not to mention that belt dressing is for V belts. There is no product in the world for a slipping serpentine belt.

The grooves are just to small, dressing will only make it worse on a serpentine belt.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Jedi,
Yeah I put the screwdriver everywhere, and couldnt find the noise. It appeared after slight "dressing", and dissapeared just as quick once the belt was grippy.

Far as conditioner goes. I know it has a solvent, but the thin layer of rubber I may have removed was contaminated with antifreeze. The belt dressings solvents applied in a hot enviroments dissipate quickly. So I do not have any worries about significant damage.

And I know for sure it was coolant contamination. Belt dressing a good belt once will not significantly affect its life. Repeated applications on a borderline one will. I've used it more than this (probably 3x) on my Oddyessy at 90K, and with 182K, and 7 years now the same belt is still going strong. I think a can's gotta know his limitations though. Its actually "belt conditioner", like that changes anything...

Funny though that Kajtek is warning me about doing something potentially damaging.

·
Registered
W124 E420 : W220 S500 : W222 S550
402 Posts
your mercedes is very very good at maintaining proper belt tension if all is correct. look a little bit more for the source - bad tensioner, bad pulley, bad equipment, etc..

I am guilty of using belt dressings in my pre-mb days.

The mb belt will be near silent when all is correct - no external help needed.

yep.... your mb is that good even at 17years old or more........LOL

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,727 Posts
Serpentine belts last for 500,000 miles easy, so having one at 183k is not proving you did not shorten its life.
But if the tough makes you happy ....

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kafklatch,
Yeah it is coolant. Belt never slipped, I did T-Stat, got coolant on belt and slipped right after T-stat. So unless something mechanical failed while I was doing my t-stat I'm leaning 99% towards the spilled coolant. No way I'd just slap a can of anything "fix it" oriented if something mechanical failed. I even listened to all accessories just to be 100%sure.

Kaj, thanks for the tidbit.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Ok I'll say it.

Clean all of the groove tracks before you install the new belt. Every pulley has to be cleaned.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep,
I agree, when I do new belt, I plan on using brake cleaner and a rag to get all residue off.
It will be a little more time, but on this one I'm taking the time upfront (not doing belt/tensioner now), and will have to pay for the time later.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update...It was the belt.
Suprised a sticky belt could make such a racket. Sounded like marbles in the power steering pump. Changed out the belt, tensioner is good, and its quiet as a church mouse.
Thought I could get away with the conditioned belt until I had more time, but it ended up forcing me to find time and replace it. I gambled and lost. But I guess I won because a tandem pump is $500, belt....much less.

Mercedes Mechanic...I made sure and cleaned everything up real nice :)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Update...It was the belt.
Suprised a sticky belt could make such a racket. Sounded like marbles in the power steering pump. Changed out the belt, tensioner is good, and its quiet as a church mouse.
Thought I could get away with the conditioned belt until I had more time, but it ended up forcing me to find time and replace it. I gambled and lost. But I guess I won because a tandem pump is $500, belt....much less.

Mercedes Mechanic...I made sure and cleaned everything up real nice :)
Yea a lot of people forget to do that and causes a chirp chirp chirp sound if there is something in one of the grooves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts