Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha,
while driving to the grocery store, my water, battery light came on and the steering became very hard. I was able to get it back to my place a short distance away. After I parked, I noticed a belt hanging down. Is this the power steering belt? also the pulley wheel seems to be damaged also. So is this gonna break the bank? I usually go to my Indie mechanic here in Honolulu. MAHALO

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,126 Posts
Aloha,
while driving to the grocery store, my water, battery light came on and the steering became very hard. I was able to get it back to my place a short distance away. After I parked, I noticed a belt hanging down. Is this the power steering belt? also the pulley wheel seems to be damaged also. So is this gonna break the bank? I usually go to my Indie mechanic here in Honolulu. MAHALO
That would be the serpentine belt that operates everything (compressor, alternator, power steering pump, etc.). The pulley you are referring to is most likely the idler pulley. These go bad and cause the belt to flip off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be the serpentine belt that operates everything (compressor, alternator, power steering pump, etc.). The pulley you are referring to is most likely the idler pulley. These go bad and cause the belt to flip off.
MAHALO! is this an expensive repair?

·
Purple Moderator
21,709 Posts
It should not be bad. The idler is about $34 and the Continental belt (my preferred belt)
ranges from $30-50 on the mainland. Labor should be 1-1.5 hours.

Inspect all around where the belt would have flailed around to make sure there was no
other damage. It is rare, but should be looked at.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aloha fellow MLers, well got it down to my Indie and was informed that the water pump gave out which caused the belt to snap which damaged the belt tensioner.....once again you guys are spot on! i'm a few dollars lighter this week, but at least my baby will be back on the road tomorrow.....MAHALO!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts