Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 84 turbo diesel, and when its cold it sometimes has trouble shifting out of first gear. If I drive it real slow it will shift up somewhat hard. Once it's warm, it usually shifts fine. I checked the level of my trans fluid and it seems fine. It dosent smell and is a pretty red color.

I bought a trans filter kit off ebay and 7 quarts of (6.5) mobil 1 synthetic trans. fluid. I will get a really good trans. fluid additive, but was wondering since I'm going to have the bottom of the trans open, and I'm going to use really good trans fluid I mind as well change any and all things necessary. I've had this car on the road for only 3 weeks and have only owned it for less than a year so I don't know its past history, maintenance records. What other trans. parts should I order and change while I have the trans. pan off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
You can change the K1 and K2 springs, if the transmission slips from 2 >3 and/or 3 > 4.

I hope there is a gasket in the filter kit and a washer for the torque converter plug.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You can change the K1 and K2 springs, if the transmission slips from 2 >3 and/or 3 > 4.

I hope there is a gasket in the filter kit and a washer for the torque converter plug.
I'll check as soon as I get home (1.5 hours) and post. Dosent really slip from 2>3, or 3>4. Just hard going into 2 sometimes (greater chance when cold). But I'll change the springs anyways since I'll have the trans open. Can't hurt right?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
If there is no slip from 2>3 or 3>4 there is no need to change the springs. Don't forget you'll have to change to transmission oil & filter every 35,000–40,000 miles. They can be changed the next time if the transmission starts to slip. Perhaps a previous owner already changed them, it is a popular and easy fix.

Hard shifting from 1>2 is vacuum-related and perhaps unsolvable on a 1984 model. On the 1985 model they had a thermoswitch, so that a cold engine had higher vacuum and smoother shifts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there is no slip from 2>3 or 3>4 there is no need to change the springs. Don't forget you'll have to change to transmission oil & filter every 35,000–40,000 miles. They can be changed the next time if the transmission starts to slip. Perhaps a previous owner already changed them, it is a popular and easy fix.

Hard shifting from 1>2 is vacuum-related and perhaps unsolvable on a 1984 model. On the 1985 model they had a thermoswitch, so that a cold engine had higher vacuum and smoother shifts.
Thanks for the info... I guess next weekend I'll go ahead and do it. Just wanted to make sure there was nothing else i could do while in there... Gonna us Lucas trans additive and mobil 1 synthetic, so everything should be good after that. I'll post up what I find out here next weekend.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks for the info... I guess next weekend I'll go ahead and do it. Just wanted to make sure there was nothing else i could do while in there... Gonna us Lucas trans additive and mobil 1 synthetic, so everything should be good after that. I'll post up what I find out here next weekend.
I love Lucas products! I changed the trans fluid on my 98 Dodge Cummins diesel & started to slip in the 2-3 gear change. After I put Lucas Trans Slip in it, she now shifts like a new Tranny? Not sure if the Lucas was syn tho! I used Castrol Syn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts