Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'96 S420
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 times last week my car has beeped and the oil symbol shows up and reads Hi. I looked in my owner's manual. It leaves out the "Hi" part of the alert. It just says that when it does this it means the engine is low on oil. I checked my oil two times and it is full. Its not overfilled either. Could a sensor be going bad? It only has 38,000 miles.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
The 2002 Manual says this:

“HI�
The message “HI� blinks and a signal sounds.
Do not overfill the engine.
Excessive oil must be drained or siphoned. It could
cause damage to engine and catalytic converter not
covered by the Mercedes-Benz Limited Warranty.

So I think your sensor thinks the oil level is too high (overfilled). If this is not the case then I would suspect a bad sensor of some sort.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
If you have a bad oil level sensor, it's the first one reported here....

I would suggest that you drop the oil level 1/2 quart and see what happens. If the symptoms continue see the dealer and have the sensor checked.

5 times last week my car has beeped and the oil symbol shows up and reads Hi. I looked in my owner's manual. It leaves out the "Hi" part of the alert. It just says that when it does this it means the engine is low on oil.
Note:
If the display reads Hi, it means high oil level, it will read Lo for low oil level.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Check your oil with the dipstick. If it is filled too high it is very imporant that you remove the excess oil.

·
Registered
'96 S420
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the oil three times with the dipstick. It's neither too low, nor is it too full. My oil is due to be changed now anyway. I just don't understand why it would be doing this now instead of when the oil was last changed.
What weight of oil do you guys use? I run Mobil 10W-30. I change that and the filter every 5,000 miles since it's synthetic. Mercedes warranty only pays to change the oil every 10,000 miles or something crazy like that. I would never run my car that long without fresh oil!
I guess I will see if it still does this after the oil gets changed.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
StuttgartStud - 3/3/2005 2:08 PM

What weight of oil do you guys use? I run Mobil 10W-30. I change that and the filter every 5,000 miles since it's synthetic. Mercedes warranty only pays to change the oil every 10,000 miles or something crazy like that. I would never run my car that long without fresh oil!
I guess I will see if it still does this after the oil gets changed.

Mobil-1 0W-40 "European formula" is the preferred oil used by most dealers. You can change the oil more frequently than 10,000 miles if heavy useage conditions warrant it, but it is not necessary for most people, and that is why they do not recommend it. For many people, once a year does it on TIME before mileage enters into the equation. Since it is your car you can do whatever makes you happy, but you have to pay for it.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I use the Mobil 1 0w40 and change my oil every 6 months or 5,000 miles which ever comes first. Last time I changed my oil myself I had it analyzed. The test came back showing plenty of life left in the oil. But my feeling is oil is hte life blood of the engine and is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Reads "Hi". Could it be that your car is smitten with you and is just saying "Hello" to get your attention ?

Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts