Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone swapped in this Becker replacement sold by Becker AutoSound? It's supposed to be plug and play and would like any feedback on quality of sound. I understand it to actually be VDO which is generally very good quality.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,556 Posts
Holy crap! That price is obscene! You can get the Continental shipped from Germany for substantially less!

In the r129 world, people love the Continental. Though the wiring harness is for a 90’s E-class. So the ignition power and memory power wires (yellow and red) are reversed for the r129.

Having put aftermarket head units into both the r129 and w126, I don’t believe this is plug-and-play. The wiring harnesses are very different. That said, wiring into the w126 was really easy.

If you want an olde-tyme look with today’s features, I believe the Continental is a good choice.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,556 Posts
My bad. I misread the original post about it being from Becker. That makes it far more intriguing. I’m curious if anyone does actually have it.

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,145 Posts
Becker includes an adapter harness so it’s plug n play . Wonder if you can call them separately to buy a harness and what they charge

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,556 Posts
Pretty sure I bought an adapter for my car from Crutchfield for like $25. I know they were the only place I could find it. And I looked. Hard. And for a long time.

I did have to connect the harness to the head unit. Not exactly plug and play. But I can go back to stock if I ever want.

·
Registered
1990 300SEL, 2005 SL500
221 Posts
I got the harness coming from Germany. I hope it gets here soon.
The same Continental radio is just waiting in the box. I wasn’t gone cut the original MB harness.
What are you getting speaker wise? Most 6.5 show modifications needed to fit our car.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,556 Posts
What are you getting speaker wise? Most 6.5 show modifications needed to fit our car.
As a gen ii, you should be able to put 6.5’s in the rear deck and the front doors. You can put 3.5’s in the dash with minimal modification. The big thing for all of them is to make sure the mounting depth works.

The only weird thing was the rear deck, the speakers kinda glue in place. In fact, mine, the glue didn’t really work. They’re just sitting in the speaker mounts.

Oh, and be super-careful with the rear deck speaker covers. They’re super-fragile. Mine shattered and I glued them back together.

Me, I rewired the whole system. The power and such to the head unit is still original. And all the original wiring is in place (and the amps). But I ran power to the trunk for amps. And rca’s from the hu to the amps, and new speaker wire from the amps to the speakers. I just didn’t trust the 30 yo original amplifiers to perform to my standards.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,481 Posts
For Xmas I put this micro amp in to power a massive Pioneer passive sub I got for nothing. As a present for my other half.

It's hilarious, properly stonking in a mk4 Golf 😂

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,556 Posts
Thanks guys. It is pretty damned impressive sounding. Especially since, to be honest, it’s almost all used components. I have like $300 into it, and that’s with replacing everything.

And even though I did my research and held out for it, I’m particularly surprised at the Alpine type-R subwoofer. It’s incredible. Bought it from a guy that had it in his VW Golf. I couldn’t imagine it in a hatchback that size.

..that amp looks like hella fun

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,453 Posts

i used the clarion m508 its ok....i had already bought it before deciding on system ....if was to do it again id put in the blaupunkt bremmen new one

Reactions: isthenew
1 - 16 of 16 Posts