Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grrr... I have installed a new radio before, but how on earth do I get to my original Becker Radio (which isn't working properly) in order to repair it, or to install a new, improved version? I just can't seem to get to it to pop it out or disconnect it.
I drive an 85 MB300D... I doubt the Turbo has much to do with this =)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
CLK / ML
4,077 Posts
I guess you mean remove it ?

You need radio keys (about $8) or two thin metal strips.

Insert into the left and right slots of the radio. Move the keys inward to release the lock and pull out.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Radio Removal

In order to remove the radio, you have to remove the two screws below the ash-tray. Then there will be two tabs to pull down below the corners of the radio. It will then slide out with no problem.

Chuck

·
Registered
1984 300TD
30 Posts
Re: Radio Removal

Hello Chuck,

You look like the guy to ask a radio question for a mercedes....I have a 84 300d radio that I'd like to switch out with my old 86 300e radio. I know the 86 radio had a code...but am not quite sure about the 84 needing one. Any ideas? Should I "chuck" the whole thing and get a different radio than the dreaded Becker?
Thanks!

Elaine

In order to remove the radio, you have to remove the two screws below the ash-tray. Then there will be two tabs to pull down below the corners of the radio. It will then slide out with no problem.

Chuck

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
the beckers are popular on ebay, often not easy to find working and inexpensive.

the beckers are popular on ebay, often not easy to find working and inexpensive.
John Gregg

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
I have a working one that I pulled from my '85 to put in a CD player. I'm not sure what it...

I have a working one that I pulled from my '85 to put in a CD player. I'm not sure what it would be worth if someone was interested in it.

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Getting the radio out isnt too hard, but the wiring can be...

Theres a couple of plates that slip over the threaded end of the two adjustment knobs (If this is your type of radio) that you have to remove after unscreweing the volume and tuner adjustments. The Haynes manual describes the process pretty well. The wiring can be tough if you are used to the typical wiring harness of today. Have your multimeter and a small battery ready to test which speaker wire goes to which speaker. Isnt it great though that the radio is a standard DIN size? Most early German cars were this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.