Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SL, Astral Silver / Blue
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an '85 380SL with 38K miles. Great car, and all the power equipment works fine, but I have an issue with the Becker radio (original). Previous owner said the radio worked well. When I bought it, did not have an opportunity to confirm that since he lives in the boonies.

Anyway, the radio powers on, produces no error codes, gives an audible "pop" to the speakers when it turns on, but will not lock on any AM or FM station and will not produce any sound. Also, it will play a tape, but not produce any sound. Have tried manually programming the stations, working volume up and down, no success. Would appreciate your suggestions on what might be the problem.

:confused:

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,642 Posts
Most folks here will tell you to get rid of the Becker. If you just want to listen to a tune or a tape once in a while, send it back to Becker for a rebuild. The have a sight on the net.

Chief

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,166 Posts
I recently purchased an '85 380SL with 38K miles. Great car, and all the power equipment works fine, but I have an issue with the Becker radio (original). Previous owner said the radio worked well. When I bought it, did not have an opportunity to confirm that since he lives in the boonies.

Anyway, the radio powers on, produces no error codes, gives an audible "pop" to the speakers when it turns on, but will not lock on any AM or FM station and will not produce any sound. Also, it will play a tape, but not produce any sound. Have tried manually programming the stations, working volume up and down, no success. Would appreciate your suggestions on what might be the problem.

:confused:
Why not check the connections ? Maybe the speaker wires are not properly connected. Don't know the later cars, but someone here should be able to tell you what you need to do to pull the radio. Or check here:

index

1 - 3 of 3 Posts