Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the radio dial on a Becker Europa Cassette Stereo (euro model) light up? Mine does not and would like to know if it 1) is supposed to be lighted at night, and 2) where to find bulbs and replace.

Also, what does the "Kurier" light signify? I realize it translates to Tuner, but wonder what's going on when it lights up occassionally. Sound seems to improve a little when lit. I assume that it just means that a strong signal is being received, but would like to know for sure.

I also don't know what the "kurier" button is supposed to do. When pressed, it acts like a mute button. Is this correct?

TIA,

·
Registered
C140 W140 C126 W201 W116 W210 W163 W251 R129 R170 928S 944S GTV6
363 Posts
I realize this is an older post, and maybe you already found your answers elsewhere, but just in case you didn't, or someone else has the same questions:

- The dial ("display/frequency indicator") is supposed to light up. There is a small, white incandescent bulb underneath the "window".

- "Kurier" is a kind of early traffic information system that was and still is used in Germany and a few other European countries. Basically you would get a "Kurier" indicator light when you are tuned into a station that provides the "Kurier" signal. There are a few modes of how the system works depending on the actual stereo. Most of the times you press the button, and if you are in radio operation, it will mute all sound until a traffic information broadcast is received. It will play it and then mute again (at the beginning and end of the broadcast you can usually hear a tone, which signals the radio to mute/unmute). If you are playing a cassette (or a CD or anything else) it will actually pause the playback and switch to the traffic announcement for the duration of it, then resume playback.

This was a pretty awesome system for it's time. I am sure it is on the way out, considering all the data we can now receive through digital radio. I actually have an older Blaupunkt stereo that had a little memory to store the latest "Kurier" broadcasts at a time window you were able to program, at which point the radio would go into a record-standby. Once you got into the car you could recall the latest traffic information before e.g. going on your drive home from the office...

Hope this helped someone out there,
--Zax

1 - 2 of 2 Posts