Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
R129066 - 500 SL
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear friends,

I have a R129 from 1992, original invoice is showing Becker Mexico 2000 but it has been replaced. I'm likely to put the original Becker back, may I ask you to clarify the existing wires I have on my car ??..
Thanks for helping.
George

Attachments

·
Registered
'83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
2,389 Posts
Check this thread, nice conversation about this: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1708692-1991-500sl-wiring-radio.html

Pulled from that thread:

Accessory 12 Volt; Pin 2; BK/BU

Constant 12 Volt; Pin 4; RD/WT

Chassis Ground; Pin 1; BN

Power Antenna; BK/RD* (quick-slide)

Illumination; Pin 3; GY/VT (2X)

Left Front Spkr +; Pin 5; BN

Left Front Spkr -; Pin 6; GY

Right Front Spkr +; Pin 7; RD/BN

Right Front Spkr -; Pin 8; BN

Left Rear + to Amp; Pin 9; WT

Right Rear + to Amp; Pin 11; BU

Common - to Amp; Pin 10; RD/YW (2X)

·
Premium Member
'90 300SL | '13 CLS550 | '10 ML350 BlueTec | '08 E350
924 Posts
Does this picture help? Mine's a '90 R129 with same radio.

Attachments

·
Registered
R129066 - 500 SL
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and thanks to you all, and yes it is helping, but not solving..
Please take a look at the picture of a Becker Mexico 2000 for sale on eBay, it looks like I have too much wires.. I don't see how I will connect the Mexico 2000 on my system..
What do you think ??.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Hi and thanks to you all, and yes it is helping, but not solving..
Please take a look at the picture of a Becker Mexico 2000 for sale on eBay, it looks like I have too much wires.. I don't see how I will connect the Mexico 2000 on my system..
What do you think ??.
Thanks
Look at this picture from the Beckerautosound.com site...
harness

Hopefully with my picture, this harness connections diagram and oisaj_dude's post you can piece this together. Very straightforward but double check on Becker's site you have the 1480 radio (index).

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 300SL
8 Posts
I have the same radio that quit working. I purchased the tools from dealership to remove it, but am quite confused (they are two handles with thin rods and bent at the ends). The Becker instructions suggest removing the ashtray, but the ashtray isn't even close to the radio. I don't want to scratch up the wood trying to pry it out without better understanding.
Thanks all for posting the pics and wiring diagrams. I hope to have music again soon.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I have the same radio that quit working. I purchased the tools from dealership to remove it, but am quite confused (they are two handles with thin rods and bent at the ends). The Becker instructions suggest removing the ashtray, but the ashtray isn't even close to the radio. I don't want to scratch up the wood trying to pry it out without better understanding.
Thanks all for posting the pics and wiring diagrams. I hope to have music again soon.
The picture of the radio you showed from EBay doesn't look like the 1992 original equipment Becker 1432 "Grand Prix." The antenna doesn't look correct to me. The Mexico 2000 may still work but there may be some wiring mods to do.

Becker Autosound is your best bet for technical knowledge and repairs if needed (1432-1991).

What do the markings say on the radio you have? Post a picture of the front, top and back please.

The ashtray instructions from Becker are for different Mercedes vehicles...ones that have the ashtray forward of the gear shift lever.

Your radio will go in by pushing gently and out as long as you have the special MB radio removal keys (or makeshift ones). Your dealer will have them or you can buy on Amazon for under $4.

Look on YouTube for video of radio removal when you have the keys. It takes a bit of finagling to get the keys in the right place and pushed all the way in but once set the radio comes straight out.

Amazon.com : Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes & Porsche Factory Radio Stereo Dash Removal Key Tool : Vehicle Electronics Installation Tools And Components : Car [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@412b9rO43VL

·
Registered
1991 300SL
8 Posts
Thank you Macysum. I am away and cannot take a pic of the radio, but am certain it is the Becker 1480. It looks just like the one you posted the index to. Again appreciated very much. The MB dealership sold me the wrong keys for removing it. I'll get them from Amazon. I see now that I have an earlier radio model than what should go on a 91'.
I am hoping that Replacing the fuse on the back of the radio will fix it.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful posts.

·
Registered
R129066 - 500 SL
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone can say what Becker I need to install for my car with the wires I have ??..
Please check post number 1
Thanks

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Zork -
It's hard to tell by looking at a picture of wires where they might go or come from. Oisaj's pin out and link posting should be what you need.

You may need some OEM connectors to fit the Becker and Becker AutoSound may be a source. Look on their site (or give them a call) for schematics for your R129 Model Year. They're very helpful and many forum members have raved about their service (I'm one). They may even know the individual wire colors for your MY.

If you're not comfortable with electronics wiring I'd suggest you find a knowledgeable friend to help out. It can't be too difficult once you have the right connectors and proper OEM radio.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts