Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CD player just died. Radio works fine but CD will only play out of one speaker. I am one of those nuts who likes the look of the original Becker but I want to have a CD player--stacker would be even better--mine has a single player in the deck.

Anyone out there having upgraded their Becker sitting on one by any chance?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Look at the Becker 4602 - it is the official Mercedes replacement unit for our cars. It is an in-dash CD radio and can be modified to accept input from an MP3 player. They look nice in a w126 - however, the cost is high at US$475.

Hope this helps -

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would not put a Becker in. I bought one with the intention of putting it in but at $480 US it does not even have real Ipod controls just and Aux input.

Instead after talking with a few members here and with Becker I put a $189 Alipine in. My installer used the factory wiring and hooked into the OEM system. Carefully took out all the stock speakers and replaced them with Infinities.

I then put a JL 10" into the trunk attached to a Memphis Amp.

I kept all the OEM stuff and it sounds great. With the better crossover and filters in the amp/subwoofer and new head unit the OEM amps sound great.

In the end we spent more than the $500 for the becker head unit but also upgraded the entire system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Becker 4602

It would really be great if one could please tell the audience the exact model of the Alpine that was installed; otherwise it makes the discussion nebulous to the point of distraction!

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
It would really be great if one could please tell the audience the exact model of the Alpine that was installed; otherwise it makes the discussion nebulous to the point of distraction!
The secret isn't so much which Alpine head unit was used. Rather, it's the skill and knowledge of the installer that made all the difference.

Unfortunately, such installers are very had to find. :(

Any hack can put in a new head unit, but 99% of the time it will sound like crap if you mix the Becker components with aftermarket head units, amps or speakers.

If the installer does not take the time to understand how the Becker components work, you're better off replacing everything.

Rellascout's installer figured out how the OEM system worked, carefully matched the pre-outs fromt the Alpine head unit to the amplifier input and replaced the speakers with compatible units.

Don't expect that level of knowledge, care and skills from every installer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The secret isn't so much which Alpine head unit was used. Rather, it's the skill and knowledge of the installer that made all the difference.

Unfortunately, such installers are very had to find. :(

Any hack can put in a new head unit, but 99% of the time it will sound like crap if you mix the Becker components with aftermarket head units, amps or speakers.

If the installer does not take the time to understand how the Becker components work, you're better off replacing everything.

Rellascout's installer figured out how the OEM system worked, carefully matched the pre-outs fromt the Alpine head unit to the amplifier input and replaced the speakers with compatible units.

Don't expect that level of knowledge, care and skills from every installer.
You are 100% right. This guy knows his stuff. I did not have to tell him anything about what was in the car. He knew. He knew where the amps were he knew what size the speakers where etc... The best piece of advice was that once I put the sub in and took away the heavy lifting from the older OEM amps they would do just fine powering the new speakers.

The Alpine was a CDA-9884. It is a very common Alpine din unit. I got it cheap because it is last years model and this time of year is change over time the the car stereo industry.

I am sorry if I am distracting from the OP, my intention was to show that there are alternatives to just putting an over priced Becker unit in.

For the $480 you pay for the Becker I was only a $100 give or take away from all new speakers and a better head unit with real IPod controls installed. To me it was a no brainer and because I was impressed and trusted this guy I had him throw in the sub too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts