Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
having a well integrated audio system in the W140, its not easy to replace the headunit with aftermarket units. the factory becker has a higher output over aftermarket ones which would run the bose amp less than optimum. Another issue is that I lose the factory changer (even though I hardly use it). and of course the other things like the speed sensing volume, 30minute cutoff, etc

anyway, while wanting to have a seamless connection between my Becker 1432 and my GPS/MP3 player, I decided to get the Becker upgrade.

Typically, you would have to send the unit to Becker USA and wait for a 1week turnaround. I was fortunate that I found an already upgraded unit and didnt have to drive with no radio for a week.

here are a few pics:

Top shows the factory deck while bottom shows the upgraded unit with the 9pin socket

Included harness in the upgrade

only thing I didnt want on this deal is my having to use a dummy tape to activate the input.

·
Registered
2005 W211 E320
1,251 Posts
I've read about this on their website (the simple page they have for the USA with a blue background)... this is something i may look into but i'm not sure yet. I might go with an updated becker unit with AUX input built-in, since I don't have a stock head unit right now, i'd have to get it first, then get the AUX mod done to it, so i may look at head units that are already good to go.

Does it work well? The only advantage i can think of, by doing that to a stock unit, rather than replacing with a newer unit with built-in cd and aux, is that i'd be able to play some cassettes once in a while if i want to feel like i'm back in the 90's haha.

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read about this on their website (the simple page they have for the USA with a blue background)... this is something i may look into but i'm not sure yet. I might go with an updated becker unit with AUX input built-in, since I don't have a stock head unit right now, i'd have to get it first, then get the AUX mod done to it, so i may look at head units that are already good to go.

Does it work well? The only advantage i can think of, by doing that to a stock unit, rather than replacing with a newer unit with built-in cd and aux, is that i'd be able to play some cassettes once in a while if i want to feel like i'm back in the 90's haha.
Youre right - their site is reminiscent of early 90s websites

Yes it works well. I hate seeing the tape adapter wire and its been bugging me for a long time now. I was thinking of upgrading just to the later model headunits (circa 2000 W210, et al) or even better the ones with the CD built in (which are stupid expensive) but unfortunately the wiring is totally different.

Im now looking into either upgrading the factory changer to play MP3 formats

·
Registered
2005 W211 E320
1,251 Posts
You're right, many of them are stupid expensive, i don't want to pay over $400 for one.

May simply just go with an OEM tape deck and get that modification done. My girlfriend likes to buy cassettes from goodwill, lol.. so maybe that way we could play them.

All-in-all, doing it that way would give me radio, weather radio, tape, CD changer, and AUX input... pretty much would have it all! And that's about all i'd want, no need for GPS at home, i know where i'm going. As far as bluetooth goes, i may just get a stand-alone BT device (speakerphone setup) and rewire it into the factory phone speakers in the dashboard, that could be an interesting project.

Doing all this would give me a 100% factory appearance, but all the functionality i would want from a newer head unit.

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree - you get to keep the factory appearance

you can have gps IF you buy the right one. I only have a garmin 360 (GPS+MP3+Bluetooth) and I plug it into the aux input and voila! all integrated into the audio system.

Now if there was a Garmin with XM radio built in that would be sweet (there are ads for GPS enabled internet so ill prolly wait for that as well, hehe) again, seamlessly integrated into the becker

·
Registered
1999 S600 98K miles, 1994 E320 Cabriolet 13K, 2012 GLK 24K
237 Posts
So Z168 where did you mount the plug-in for the ipod? I'm thinking of doing the factory upgrade too.

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Z168 where did you mount the plug-in for the ipod? I'm thinking of doing the factory upgrade too.
double sided taped it way underneath the steering wheel underdash (almost near the AC foot vent). so if incase I take out the GPS, there is no trace.

Its a hell of a job trying to snake the 8pin connector into the stereo console (was to chicken to take apart the underdash). anyway I got it done

UPDATE : im getting static out of the tape deck ONLY. and this happens when my 12v adapter is plugged to the GPS. will update the post and add pics whenever

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Z168:

Did you notice the audio quality improved with the AUX input?
the tape adapter actually had better sound output. the becker upgrade is really a downgrade. static and low sound output. I really had to crank the volume to get it to the same volume range as I used to. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

Finally took the deck out and just stayed with CDs for now. I will eventually just go back to my trusted tape adapter. far reliable

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
Mr Kalifornia,

I'm versed in electronics, and I've been leery of these MP3 adapters, but I guess for me the time has come to make my own mp3 interface. I have a spare W140 radio that I can toy around to perfect the idea.

I was going to buy that adapter, thanks for the tip.

Martin

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and I hate that you have to have a dummy tape to activate the input

there is another thread from the W123 section from the other forums that did away with the dummy tape. see if you can do the same and update this thread

·
Registered
1999 S600 98K miles, 1994 E320 Cabriolet 13K, 2012 GLK 24K
237 Posts
It worked for

I had the Becker IPOD adapter done to my radio - installed the plug in the glove compartment. It works fine - yeah you have to turn up the ipod volume at the ipod but then you can adjust it and blast your Bose sound system and adjust it to your liking on the radio. It is just as clear as playing a CD. I had static on the radio if I tried to charge my ipod while it played with a cigar lighter socket so I just charge it when I am not using it. I think it works great overall and you keep it all original.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts