Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to have the becker aux input mod done on my stereo, & I have a few questions. IFor those members who have this mod, where have you put the box with the input? I was thinking putting it in the top din simply because it seems easier than routing it to the center armrest storage console, which would be my ideal choice. If I were to put it in the din thoug, from what I understand the wood trim around the shifter has to be removed, is this correct? Finally, are there any special instructions/hints you have, as it seems to me simply pull the radio, send it away, and reiinstall, but then I may be wrong...

P.S. Do the radio removal keys go in the rectangular slots in the buttons on the bottom corners?

Thanks in advance
-Andy

·
Registered
34 Posts
why not just buy the sony reciever from crutchfield that uses your ipod as a media player and replace the factory radio, thats is what i am about to do.

the reciever cost me $129.00 shipped w/ all adapters and parts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why not just buy the sony reciever from crutchfield that uses your ipod as a media player and replace the factory radio, thats is what i am about to do.

the reciever cost me $129.00 shipped w/ all adapters and parts
I have a couple of reasons that I don't want to do this:
1) I like the stock look much better than aftermarket
2) I still (feel free to laugh at me ;) ) actually have tapes I like to listen to!
The cd changer doesn't mean too much to me, because I can simply put cd's on my iPod.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Agreed that the MB stock looks better than any aftermarket unit I've seen. OTOH since you are taking the plunge, what about getting a COMAND? Or were those even available on the pre-facelifts?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why don't you put it in the glovebox? That would seem to be the best, and least obvious, place to me.
I like this because it would keep me from being tempted to fiddle with the iPod while driving, but I'm not too knowledgable when it comes to interiors so I wouldn't know how to route the wire there. Maybe a subscription to EPC might help? (pardon my stupidity, if I am able to figure out how to do this it would probably be where I would put it)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed that the MB stock looks better than any aftermarket unit I've seen. OTOH since you are taking the plunge, what about getting a COMAND? Or were those even available on the pre-facelifts?
They weren't available on prefacelift, but even if they were (dont get me wrong, I love the look of the original comand system)As a student, I have neither the time or more importantly, the money to do this upgrade. I definitely wish I could though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I routed mine through the center console. got rid of the cup holder. the box fits underneath the shifter. ipod goes where the cupholder went, that way i can close the cupholder door and conceal the cable.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
They weren't available on prefacelift, but even if they were (dont get me wrong, I love the look of the original comand system)As a student, I have neither the time or more importantly, the money to do this upgrade. I definitely wish I could though.
Understood, I was a poor student way back when too. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and please let us know how this upgrade works out.

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
put mine in the center console. hides the ipod but still easy to get to if I want to.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What actually is the "command"? I have a 2000 wagon that I just bought so I don't know what it has to be honest.
COMAND is the Mercedes navigation system; it was first available in the year 2000. It was a multimedia feature that combined the stereo & the navigation system. To find out which options your car does or doesn't have, Motortrend.com will tell you the options available that year. This is the link to your model: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2000/mercedes_benz/e_class/e320_wagon/620/packages_options/

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Understood, I was a poor student way back when too. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and please let us know how this upgrade works out.
Well, as these things always go, it turns out that my MAF is shot so I guess that takes priority. :( On that note, does anyone know where I should buy this (autohausaz doesn't have it; I remember reading a thread where MM replaced his MAF where did you buy it?)? The reason I ask is I don't want to pay more than necessary, that way I can get the aux input mod sooner ^_^ Thanks for everyones'
suggestions, they're very much appreciated. I will definitely post back here with the results when I get it, I'll probably spend a day doing that as well as getting around to uploading my pics of my 3M headlight restoration.

EDIT: I found the MAF on Autohausaz for about $150, looks like ill be getting it from there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well I looked up the option packages, mine does not have NAV but does have the phone and steering wheel controls, How would I know if it has rain sensing wipers? Some things it has and some it does not. It has leather (I think they all do) it has heated seats, it has the climate control that has the buttons all around like one guy said. What is the "Espresso Edition" or "Silver Edition" doesn't say what they are. Does anyone know how the rear window shades work? Are they power or a dealer add on?

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
, How would I know if it has rain sensing wipers? Some things it has and some it does not.
If it has rain sensors, it will have a big black plastic blob stuck to the windshield, right behind the inside mirror.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I looked up the option packages, mine does not have NAV but does have the phone and steering wheel controls, How would I know if it has rain sensing wipers? Some things it has and some it does not. It has leather (I think they all do) it has heated seats, it has the climate control that has the buttons all around like one guy said. What is the "Espresso Edition" or "Silver Edition" doesn't say what they are. Does anyone know how the rear window shades work? Are they power or a dealer add on?
Espresso & Silver editions are the Designo editions. After Mercedes releases a new model, a few years later they release designo editions, which are (usually very expensive) packages that consist of very unique, quality paints and some of the highest quality interior textures and trim that you'll see this side of a Rolls Royce Phantom (at least IMO). They are usually quite stunning, and thus quite rare considering their huge price tags.
As for the rear shade, it was not available for the wagon, but on sedans it was a factory, power rear window sunshade & therefore it cant be retrofitted unless you make some major expensive modifications to your car. It really is cheaper to buy a model with the options you want.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the aux mod. My box is behind the radio - was limited in being able to fish it very far because it doesn't come detached from the head unit. So I got a long patch cord, maybe 6 feet, and that's what I ran from behind the ashtray, next to shifter, down deep to come out in the upper center console. Check the stickies for how to unfasten the center console to get access underneath.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts