Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1984 280GE LWB
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested, there is a beautiful 460 on ebay without a reserve. I don't believe I have seen this one listed before today. In any event, looking at the pictures makes me extremely envious.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4548106209&category=31854&sspagename=WDVW

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Interesting.

There may be a "defacto" reserve if he's got an auto-bid in for a value below which he won't sell. The price it's at now is fair. Maybe even as much as 18k if it can be verified to be in as pristine a condition as he indicates. But his quotes of various price sources indicate he might be a little mislead about what it's worth on the open market. Be interesting to see what it does.

Anybody check the vin with DOT to see if it's legally here?

-Dave G.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
... i don't know...

I don't know... (it's disagree with hipine week) I think that truck looks friggin' perfect and with that low miles... That's better than fully restored because there's no use on anything. I think this is one of those super rare cases where it's worth A LOT to the right buyer.

I was thinking. From what people are saying, it's like 10k if you want to do a full body restore for rust. Most used ones need a front wheel service. There's 3k. Interior is perfect. Figure 1k on re-upholsering an old truck. We're already at 14k... If i were in the market for a 460 i'd pay over 20k for that without much guilt. What else would i buy for 20k-25k? A simple 4-runner? A wrangler/rubicon?... i don't think so. It's a lot of money, but what got me into my G was i just couldn't think of anything else that would make me feel like i had really got something great for a similar amount of money... and 23k miles... that really is nothing... that is "as new" for a truck you know goes well past 300k without trouble.

Dai has a really beautiful truck too.

I just test drove a older truck... no major, major problems, but i could see sinking plenty of money into it anyway. Time i find is so precious now. Being able to get a truck that doesn't need any work is really worth a lot of time (equals money).

But when i get a house, it'll be a fixer upper, because i'll still have more time than money here in the S.F. bay

and good luck getting that truck into california without diesel swap...

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Definitely see your point, E.

I agree. If it really is imaculate, and it REALLY does have 23k and not 123, then yes, a premium price might be commanded. To just the right individual like a nut case like you or I who would be buying it to keep forever as their own little pride and joy.

But even so, it would be hard for it to bring 20k, just for the mileage premium. Turn your logic about barely broken in for a car that goes 300k around a little and you see that Gs with 150,000 miles are still in great shape if they're properly cared for all their lives. I know Dutch's 460 seemed like new to me when I drove it to CO from GA a few years back and it was well over 100k at the time. I've driven others like that too. A lot of the Gs on this list probably fall into the same boat.

I also agree 110% that a truck that you don't have to work on is worth MORE than the value of the truck plus work on a truck that does need help. MUCH better to start good and keep good than to have to try and recover. And that's worth paying for. How MUCH it's worth? Well we might find out!

It'll be interesting to watch.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
The photos are of a very clean vehicle. The missing photos include the front side and the pedals. These can often be the most telling items of a vehicle that has 23000 vs 123000 miles.

I actually think this vehicle might be actually have only 23,000 miles. But, the proof is in the first hand experience.

ts

·
Registered
111 & 126
151 Posts
First off, age hurts a car more that milage...granted a low milage car is great, but if it just sits there for a few years all of the seals dry up and stuff goes sour. I have a 64 220seb with 63k original miles and it needs work simply because its been sitting for years and years in a garage..if it had been driven even once a month that would be emough to lube everything.One thing I've noticed...and this is especially true for MB's milage is not that particularly important.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
I don,t like the addition of the roof rails, which look like Volvo, my last experience of a conversion like this was a chums G in Germany, he was plagued with water leaks and sagging roof lining, eventualy to pay a body shop a large sum DMs to reinstate to its original.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,978 Posts
ianwatsoni - 5/12/2005 7:25 AM

those roof rails weren't a factory option were they?
No! [xx(]

·
Registered
111 & 126
151 Posts
Makes me wonder what wy G is worth with only 33,200 miles! With a fresh coat of paint (mine is begining to fade) I would have an even nicer G than the one sold.All I need to do is find a sucker, er... I mean the right buyer!

·
Registered
G55K, 360CS, F430
412 Posts
Guess I need to visit here more often....That's my old G! I was the original owner and sold it in '88/89. The roof rails are from a MB Wagon and Europa helped me locate the wood for the interior. Wish I knew it was available, I'd buy it again!!

·
Registered
1984 280GE LWB
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AGR - 5/24/2005 2:27 AM

That's my old G! I was the original owner and sold it in '88/89.
Help us out, man. Is it at all possible that the ODO reads 23,000 vs. 123,000?

·
Registered
G55K, 360CS, F430
412 Posts
I believe it to be true. When I sold the G in 88/89 it had approx. 5K miles and it was sold to a friend and MB collector. As with his other cars I knew it would be just another garage queen. I remember speaking with him in '94 and at that time it had only accumulated another 3000 miles. According to the friend that sold it for the last owner on ebay in his words, "He never really drove the thing" So, it is my feeling that the above is accurate. My only regret is that I missed it on ebay!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts