Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me apologize for asking what I consider a common question. I've been reading the forum, trying out the search function and poking around the web for the past several days looking for a definitive answer...

My recently purchased 02 ML320 is in desperate need of some new tires. It's currently running 255x50x17's without much tread left and I'm of the opinion that it should have something more aggressive.

What's the largest 17" tire that won't rub with the t-bars cranked up to level an 02 ML320?

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,615 Posts
slink said:
First let me apologize for asking what I consider a common question. I've been reading the forum, trying out the search function and poking around the web for the past several days looking for a definitive answer...

My recently purchased 02 ML320 is in desperate need of some new tires. It's currently running 255x50x17's without much tread left and I'm of the opinion that it should have something more aggressive.

What's the largest 17" tire that won't rub with the t-bars cranked up to level an 02 ML320?
The OEM on the 320 17x8 rim is 255/60/17 or 275/55/17 on the 17x8.5 rim (OPT 320, 350; STD 500, SE, 350 SE). I'd assume you have the 17x8 rim, and by large, you may mean width or diameter. I don't know how much the T-bar lowers the truck, but I looked for some mounted examples on the net and you have the following: 215/35/17, 205/40/17 or 215/45/17. Personally, I think these are too little profile. I also went to this neat site: http://www.1010tires.com/ and punched in these sizes. The 35 series has a 8.46inch side wall and 22.92inch diameter, the 40 series, 8.07 and 23.45 and the 45 series, 8.46 and 24.61. All will seriously disrupt your speedo by as much as +10mph according to the calculator!!! That may (I think) in turn disrupt the ABS and some other systems that depend on tire RPM. I don't know if this helps or not, but you do have some more info now!!!

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
Our AMG is having 285 wide tires. I don't know if the rims have different offset, but they added fender flares to cover the wider tires better.
Tire selection is more complicated, than Darkmann presented. Even with the same nominal size each tire model, or manufacturer is having differences. What you need to compare is rpm (rounds per mile).
When i put 22" wheels on our AMG I took it for ride with GPS before if after.
Regardless the fact, that 22" wheels stood on the driveway 5/8" taller, they turned out to have the same rpm, like the smaller 18", so the speedometer come unaffected, showing on low side.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,615 Posts
Kajtek1 said:
Our AMG is having 285 wide tires. I don't know if the rims have different offset, but they added fender flares to cover the wider tires better.
Tire selection is more complicated, than Darkmann presented. Even with the same nominal size each tire model, or manufacturer is having differences. What you need to compare is rpm (rounds per mile).
When i put 22" wheels on our AMG I took it for ride with GPS before if after.
Regardless the fact, that 22" wheels stood on the driveway 5/8" taller, they turned out to have the same rpm, like the smaller 18", so the speedometer come unaffected, showing on low side.
Kajtek, what size 22 do you have - I want to plug your numbers into the code at 1010tires to check wjat they come up with RPM.

I agree with you that tire fitment is quite a bit more complicated and I'm finding this out because of my intent on getting a 19x9.5 or 10 rim for my 500. I just gave him options and I hope he sizes them OK. I think that to stay with the OEM 17" rims without flares, there's not much to do besides the 275/55/17 size tires. To get wider, he'd have to go with a 18" or even a 20" rim.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,615 Posts
Slink, here are some more sizes for you to ponder

The one problem I have with these very wide Lo profile tires is the load rating - Yes they'll fit the OEM 17" rims and mess up your speedo, but they will not meet the ML's load rating. These tires load rate at best in the high 90s. My 05 Ml manual requires 106-169 load rating. So in my book, for safety reasons, these tires are just for show!!! But, if you will, here's a list of tires that will fit:

225/45/17, width=8.85in and diameter=24.97in
245/45/17 - 9.64/25.68
265/45/17 - 10.43/31.60
275/40/17
275/50/17
275/60/17
315/70/17

You can check the section width and overall diameter and speedo change at 1010tires.

My advice: to get that aggressive look, get a 18x9.5 or 18x9 rim (OEM AMG) with the correct tire. You'll be quite flush with the fender walls and your rear end will look quite awesome!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think I made myself very clear with my original post. I'm actually looking for a taller tire than the 255/60/17's that I'm currently running.

Another post in the forum here summed up the stock tires pretty well when they were referred to as "minivan" tires. I'm thinking something like the BFG AT's or Bridgestone Revo's would meet my driving requirements better. I'm simply wondering how large of a tire (height/width) I can go on the 17x8" without doing any trimming, or suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
They will not rub, and don't require a lift. 265/70 R17 AT KO

Some have gone larger without a lift, but since I get a tiny rub at full lock with my larger tires WITH A LIFT I have to believe that they would be a tight fir without a lift.

Here is the larger size WITH a lift. 285/70 R17 BFG AT KO

See Wolfie's site for reference: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/offroadtires.html

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
Darkmann said:
Kajtek, what size 22 do you have - I want to plug your numbers into the code at 1010tires to check wjat they come up with RPM.
I've got Nitto 285/35 ZR22
slink finally clarified what's on his mind and he want bigger wheels period.
That bring several issues. It will void the warranty, odometer will misread, transmission will have more stress.
Even ML is having lot of clearance under the fender, I would take "no rubbing with bigger wheels" statements with some salt and pepper. Just because the wheels don't rub on straight road with driver only in the car, doesn't mean they will not rub under heavy load, while turning sharply into steep driveway.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Kajtek1 said:
I've got Nitto 285/35 ZR22
slink finally clarified what's on his mind and he want bigger wheels period.
That bring several issues. It will void the warranty, odometer will misread, transmission will have more stress.
Even ML is having lot of clearance under the fender, I would take "no rubbing with bigger wheels" statements with some salt and pepper. Just because the wheels don't rub on straight road with driver only in the car, doesn't mean they will not rub under heavy load, while turning sharply into steep driveway.
Driving around with minivan tires is a bigger problem than anything else you can come up with.

:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts