Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500 Sold. Moved to Texas. Presently 2016 G550 & 2016 350 GLE
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooner or later it had to happen. I live in a town overloaded with illegals from south of the border.
I'm following a Nissan with two Mexicans with their hats on backwards, all slouched down in the seats and they come to a stop 30 feet from the car in front of them in the left turn lane. I can see the driver frantically playing with the shifter. I decide to reverse and go around them to the right, thinking they have choked the car. Nothing behind me, so I back up a little. Look for a clear lane to pull around when he puts the Nissan in reverse and nails my Gwagen at full throttle. I was upset to say the least. I had to ask hime where he got his License. MIGHT HAVE KNOWN![:(!]HE HAD NONE. The cops came, Luckily he does not like illegals. The guy has no ID or Licence! Improper move and driving without a license. GREAT![:D]pack him off to jail I say. I'll say one thing for him, he did admit to his stupidity. The gods must be smiling on me because he is driving his girlfriends car and it has insurance.[;)]Anyway, after spending the morning checking out the damage, The local Benz shoppe says $1400 for what they can see, anything else will be covered also. [:)]
The pictures are below, I wish you could have see that Nissan with both rear quarters sticking out and the trunk lid that would not close. I kind of liked the way the rear bumper was closer to the driver too.[:D][:D]Now for some advice from you guys, Is there anything that may be hidden that needs to be really checked out once we get into the Beast. I know the bumper is back about 6mm as you can see the bolts have moved.

Attachments

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Save the old bumper, I did after Avistar Valet Parking at Ohare dented my front bumper. If I ever really trash my bumper or want to try and fit a winch the lightly damaged bumper is good to have.

Currently thinking of getting a 463 tow pin bumper and moving the trans cooler to the G55 location.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
or if you want to clame it on insurance and get a ORG winch bumper.... ill paint mine silver and trade you [:p]

·
Registered
1987 300GD, 1987 300TD, 1991 300TE, 1992 300TE 4M, 1968 Citroen AK250, 1991 VW Syncro Camper
494 Posts
I had a similar thing happen and replaced mine with the 463 tow pin bumper. See previus posts on this topic. I got it from this place - send them and email and they will respond in english. They have lots of Gwagen stuff, new and used.

http://www.auto-herrmanns.de/Index.aspx

Good luck!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too late guys......

I signed a release with the dealer this morning to fix the Gwagen and the parts have been ordered.
As for keeping the old bumper, I really have no place to store it as we have retired to the city without storage facilities. I'll be glad to get it after repairs are made, and ship it to anyone that wants it, but it is pretty much out of shape now.

·
Registered
2004 G55 AMG
65 Posts
mb230s - 5/13/2005 4:43 PM

Save the old bumper, I did after Avistar Valet Parking at Ohare dented my front bumper. If I ever really trash my bumper or want to try and fit a winch the lightly damaged bumper is good to have.

Currently thinking of getting a 463 tow pin bumper and moving the trans cooler to the G55 location.
*blink* - G55 location? Mine's up there in the bumper too... or are we talking 'K or something?

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
wavelengths - 5/13/2005 6:51 PM

mb230s - 5/13/2005 4:43 PM

*blink* - G55 location? Mine's up there in the bumper too... or are we talking 'K or something?
That is your additional oil cooler, your trans cooler is mounted at the rear of the skid plate. G500s don't have the oil cooler and thus the trans cooler can be moved to the G55 (K and non K) location.

·
Registered
1998 Puch G320 V6
196 Posts
RE: Too late guys......

GwagenLover - 5/13/2005 7:17 PM

I signed a release with the dealer this morning to fix the Gwagen and the parts have been ordered.
As for keeping the old bumper, I really have no place to store it as we have retired to the city without storage facilities. I'll be glad to get it after repairs are made, and ship it to anyone that wants it, but it is pretty much out of shape now.
I sustained similar damage last week- how fast was the guy going? I'd be interested in the bumper- your 1500$ bill -what items they're replacing?
At least YOUR ok - that's what my wife would say.[:)]
m

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fender bender. From the pictures you took, the damage doesn't seem to be very noticable.

I, too, am glad to see that you're okay and your G wasn't too badly damaged. [:)]

·
Registered
04 G500
1,634 Posts
Mexicans in NC? are you kidding me?

I live in Oakland and there's a lot of them, no insurance, no ID, no license all day long.

I advise all my friends to keep atlease 40 feet of their vehicles as I do my self. Last year, an illigal mexican clipped my bumper while parking and just walked away.

He got out of his 84' Dodge bucket, looked at the damage and started walking away with the rest of his 8 kids (that I probably feed unwilingly), I said "hey!!! come back here!".
He simply said, "no ing-lesh, senor, no inshurance".

I called the cops, they came 20 minutes later, and the mexicans never came back. YUP you guessed it, no registration, no owners, no license and no plates! The cops couldnt even tow the car because their own lots were full of these cars already.

Cops, said "sorry sir, what are you doing parking a car like this here anyway". I just left and called my insurance.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A note for NewBuyer....

The damage was to the bumper and both lights that are mounted in the bumper. The bumper mounts are to be replaced also. $995 in parts and $480 labor to repaint and replace. Now about that old bumper. You can have it. I will get it and send it to you for the shipping to your state. Over ground UPS or your preference. Let me know. Email or phone. [email protected] (it has spam filters so you need to follow up on the return reply) 336-724-7200 eastern time 8am till 11pm. Let me know.
As to the Mexicans in Winston Salem, NC ....They have taken over the south eastern section and for the most part are good people. Just the rotten apple in each barrel is the ones that cause the problems. We can blame this on ourselves. We have failed to teach our children how to do manual labor, Or at least I'm guilty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts