Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,609 Posts
A couple years ago here in CT there was a young man home from service in Iraq, selling his Mustang. Took the 2 lookers for a test drive and they killed him. I know these are the exceptions and not the rule, but I'm always on the alert dealing with folks I don't know.

·
Registered
1985 380sl 1973mgmidget
299 Posts
Right up there with the guys that dont ship our 107 parts thats been paid for FIVE weeks!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Around 10 years ago, my wife and I were awakened at midnight one winter night by banging on our front door. Our 2d story bedroom window was above the door - I looked out, and could see two guys; I opened the window slightly, asked what they wanted. It was "to see the Camry you (we) had advertised." We did not own a Camry, and we had not advertised, let alone made any midnight appointments to see one. I told them we were not selling a car, and believe it or not, they wanted to argue with me, insisting I had placed an ad, and this was the right address. Wrong!! I was not aware of any of my neighbors selling a car, either.

I looked out to the street to see two more guys in a car. I have no doubt it was an attempt at a home invasion. I told my wife, loudly, to call 911, and then bring me the pistol (we didn't have one). The two at the door left in a hurry. I could not get a license plate number. The police told us there had been several similar attempts in the general vicinity.

Be careful.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,609 Posts
That's a helluva assumption. I don't live in "fear" of anything. I enjoy my life just fine and I DO take advantage of my right to be prepared for an unlikely and unwelcome event. Some folks around here have extensive kits they travel with. Same thing.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Cripes, what world do you folks live in?
You can't enjoy life for fear of dying.
A world in which some will tell you anything to get into your front door; and once there, steal, and often murder. The event I set out happened in Baltimore (County), MD, and it occurred against a backdrop of several home invasions, including killings, and even more attempts that had failed. These had happened in the city and in the county, in nice and in modest neighborhoods.

Here in Tampa, FL, less than a year ago, there was a young woman who would ring doorbells in the evenings, claiming she had car problems, and asking to use the occupant's phone. Her two male companions waited just beside the door, out of sight. When the door was opened by someone far more trusting than I am, the three rushed into the house, pistol whipped the victims, and robbed them. These occurred in "nice" neighborhoods. The perps were caught, after victimizing 5 or so people.

There have been other home invasions resulting in the deaths of the occupants in the 4 years we have lived here; and they have occurred across the bay, in St. Petersburg. I would rather be careful than dead.

On a lesser note, there have been several instances of folks asking to test drive a car someone was selling, and of course, taking off with it. My neighbor was selling one (an old Honda) - two guys showed up, wanted to "take it for a spin" before purchasing. When my neighbor insisted that he accompany them, they took off. Plainly, they weren't there to buy.

·
Registered
Trek 520
3,407 Posts
Dogs and guns are good things. Glad you folks weren't hurt.
I hope the guy pulls through.

OT, I left my wife locked in a gun safe ata Bass Pro Shop in Orlando. Haha, somebody is going to get a huge surprise, she can't cook worth a damn.

Photo-Leica MP and a 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH. :)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts