Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there are signs that a battery is dying or does it just come as one big surprise?

Do I need to go to a MB dealer to get one or can i get one elsewhere (Sears??)

Any idea as to cost? I have an 02 430 with 34,300 miles.

H

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,338 Posts
The best way to check is to have a load test performed. Typically batteries deteroriate over time but many times the death throw comes all of a sudden. Usually at the worst possible moment.
New Mercedes battery is about $130 installed free of additional charge if you call roadside service. There are many after-market batteries available as well, but make sure you get them properly vented.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, BK.

There is a post I did on changing the battery, pretty basic stuff but it is with an aftermarket (Interstate) battery, which I changed before mine died as I don't like inconvenience.

Unless you don't like inconvenience, lots of people wait until it dies, then call roadside assist. They bring you a battery and charge you retail, but install it for free ($130 is the cheapest I've heard of, I'd say it averages around $145 or so, please click the CP link and add your location and car to your profile...).

Sam's Club has the least expensive proper replacement and some have avoided the vent issue by modifying the hold-down to secure an Optima in there.

As far as signs, seems like most just die, turn the key and click or nothing, I haven't heard too many stories of the "slow cranking" type symptoms often seen with other makes.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,854 Posts
No, no click. The starter is computer controlled. Once the computer will detect the low voltage it will not close the starter relay.
So in twisted way it comes as a big surprise at least to me. I started the car in the morning just fine, drove couple of miles and park it leaving the recirculation on. The small draw was enough to drain the battery below the level computer would accept.
Than my son passed 11-th winter on the original battery in ML

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,647 Posts
Anyone know if there are signs that a battery is dying or does it just come as one big surprise?

Do I need to go to a MB dealer to get one or can i get one elsewhere (Sears??)

Any idea as to cost? I have an 02 430 with 34,300 miles.

H
as others mention, a load test the only way to really check a battery. I just replaced the original battery in my 97 E420 with 100K miles. No signs of it going south, but I figured with 100K and almost 12 years I was pushing my luck. Local dealer says they see lots of cars going 8+ years on mercedes batteries. According to the dealer, when they go it is sudden. Once battery voltage drops below a certain level electronics won't let the starter solenoid kick in, that's whey you don't get the slowwww start or clicking as it goes bad. The placement under the seat and out of underhood temps helps.
I paid $153 from the dealer.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
A load test

checks the charging system and the battery current state of charge.It is a poor way to test battery life.Get a sg bulb pull the caps and check the sg of each cell.
Your battery is 7 years old,40% of batteries don't make it past their fourth birthday,you do the math:)
:bowdown:

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
139 Posts
on my 97 e420 before my battery went i got a bunch of wierd msges before my battery crapped the bed; abs warning(nothing wrong with my abs), disengage parking brake(although it wasnt engaged), brake lining wear warning (pads and rotors are okay) and radio not powering on; it started up and went away when i restarted the car, but the car wouldnt start later on that final day

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Proper venting is very important or use an Optima like I did. As a bit of FYI, I used Roadside Assistance for the first time on Monday to replace the battery in my 560SL. Excellent service and they charged me MSRP ($135) for the battery with no labor.

Len

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.