Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i filled up my e300 97 battery with some plain tap water... Afterwards im getting a check engine electronics error. Then i after shutting down the engine a few hours later i tried to crank up again but the engine didn't want to turn over. Im thinking that i must have done something bad to the battery.... any advice would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
You should not use tap water. You have to use distilled water. The tap water will kill a weak battery and make a strong battery have a shorter life.:eek:

·
Registered
'00 E320, '84 190E and... '85 300TD Wagon (most reliable car! Lost in a stupid accident. R.I.P.)
10 Posts
Re: Battery

djmeistro said:
i filled up my e300 97 battery with some plain tap water... Afterwards im getting a check engine electronics error. Then i after shutting down the engine a few hours later i tried to crank up again but the engine didn't want to turn over. Im thinking that i must have done something bad to the battery.... any advice would be appreciated!
----------------------------------
Yes, tap water is not good for a battery, but adding a little will not damage it to the point you described. Did you ADD some water or was your battery completely dry? If it was dry or nearly dry, you should have charged it before trying to start the car. When you say "engine didn't want to turn over," was it like when the battery is dead? Maybe it just needs to be charged.
Please let us know what was wrong when you get it fixed. I might be completely wrong, but I think tap water will not kill your battery right away.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,345 Posts
I agree, MK. the crucial issue here is that healthy electrolyte must operate with
a specific gravity sufficient to function. by adding water.....and not follow up with
a charge, you've dropped the specific gravity of the electrolyte to below that which
is healthy. thus, the battery is below minimum operating condition.

you can jump start the car, but depending on the severity of dillution, the battery
may be too low even for the alternator to replenish. you only choice is to trickle
charge this for several hours at 10amps or so with a dedicated battery charger.

it's highly unlikely that tap water alone is so contaminated with minerals that it
irreversably damaged the battery. given the choise, distilled water is always better
than tap water.

·
Registered
'00 E320, '84 190E and... '85 300TD Wagon (most reliable car! Lost in a stupid accident. R.I.P.)
10 Posts
djmeistro, I think Raymond explained it better than I did. Try to charge your battery with a charger. I'd even use lower amps and charge it overnight.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
If it's more than five years old, just replace it.

Len

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the hlep, yea i jumped the car and it is running fine, however i still get the check engine electronics error....
?

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
give it a little bit of time, if it doesn;t go away in a couple of days, then look up the codes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts