Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 4MATIC, 1994 E320, 2000 Ducati M750
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the battery on the new 94 E320 I picked up, and I keep coming up short for cheap batteries. I keep seeing only a few models available, and all are uber pricey, and all I am looking for is a cheapie battery for the car. The car sat for 2 years, soo I going to be posting lots of pics of the progress as it goes from wreck to nice. Thanks!

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,745 Posts
Ping

Since your profile isn't filled out ,I'll assume you're in the US. Go to WalMart and get a group 49 battery. I suspect you will drop $70 ish bucks. Don't go to lowball on the battery. Correct voltage is a crutial element with these cars.

Good Luck with the project

Jayare

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
Buy an Interstate; they cost a bit more but they'll last five years.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,541 Posts
I tend to avoid the specific Mercedes battery that came with the cars. Pretty hard to find and expensive to boot.

I just go to Costco and get their highest CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) battery. Typically it's one for a Ford truck or something.
8 year warranty, 3 years free replacement. About $70 I think.

·
Registered
1993 300E, 2003 996 Turbo X50
624 Posts
I tend to avoid the specific Mercedes battery that came with the cars. Pretty hard to find and expensive to boot.
You can find them at any dealer or they will bring one to you if you call the roadside assistance number. I just bought mine for $128. Last MB battery in my car was 9 years old. Every time I get a battery from walmart, advance auto, etc.. the damn thing always seems to die in a couple years. I don't know if they store them improperly or what, but it's annoying.

That said, if my car were a project car i'd just get a battery from costco.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,368 Posts
If you want the best price, get a Bosch group 49 1000CCA batt @ Pep Boys for $99. Works great in my diesel. Other good batts are OEM dealer, Interstate, DieHard but these are more expensive. Don't bother with DuraLast, etc.

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
Someone once told me there were just three car battery manufacturers in the U.S. - Johnson Controls, Exide, and ... ?

Not a test- just can't remember.

·
Registered
1993 MB 500E, 1965 MB 220b
77 Posts
Battery Choice

As previously mentioned, there are several to choose from; but it's hard to beat the bang for the buck of Everstart MAXX. Usually the highest CCA, longest warranty/exchange & lowest price. Your battery is most likely a Group 48 or 49.

I recently bought an Everstart MAXX-49N for my W124 after comparing all the accessible possibilities (my closest Benz dealership was too far away to warrant chasing down an OEM battery). $83.16 including tax. It is physically configured within millimeters of the OEM it replaced. Drop it in, hook it up, go!

I've never had any problems with the Everstarts, but if there is...a Walmart is always close by.

BTW, remember to make a copy of your battery sales & warranty receipts. Stick'em in a ziploc bag & place under your battery. Eliminates any warranty guesswork if a problem ever should arise.

·
Registered
2005 E320 4MATIC, 1994 E320, 2000 Ducati M750
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I can see alot more options now knowing the type of battery, rather than looking up based off car. Believe it or not, most auto parts stores don't even show a listing for a battery for our cars. The ones that do show prices $150+ etc. I'll prob get a Wal Mart battery, have had good luck with those before.

I take care of batteries and usually get a long time out of them, but alot of that is pulling them when not being used for a long time and put on a battery tender, a good battery tender. I'm going on year 6 with my jet ski battery, which usually motorsports batteries last around 2 years or so unless you are VERY anal about pulling them in the off season

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,386 Posts
The reason why many foreign batteries tend to last longer (as was explained to me by a general battery dealer), it that foreign battery manufactures use virgin lead. US battery manufactures use recycled lead. In the long term for battery longevity, there is a difference. The MB battery will probably outlast anything domestic that you would buy. Just because a battery has a high CCA rating, doesn't mean it will be in your car forever.

Also, whether or not you keep your charging circuit in good order and check the water level in the battery (if you can).....how many times a drain or a light is left on and the battery run down completely....climate stress....how much you jump other batteries....there are a lot of factors in battery life.

Kevin

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
I bought an OE battery from the dealer 2 months ago for $120...Couldn't find any of the right group in my area for some reason and couldn't wait.

We'll see how long it lasts...1 year warranty only on it unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
10,386 Posts
I bought an OE battery from the dealer 2 months ago for $120...Couldn't find any of the right group in my area for some reason and couldn't wait.

We'll see how long it lasts...1 year warranty only on it unfortunately.
Hmmmm....hate to see one with the 'eye'. Hopefully, they go about that system better than American batteries. Can you even access the cells if you want to?

Kevin

·
Registered
'89 300TE, '79 450SL, '01 ML320
1,051 Posts
Mercedes branded batteries are, or at least used to be made by Varta.
Varta is now owned by Johnson Controls, so who knows if the quality is any different
than any other JC manufactured battery.
JC also makes batteries for AdvanceAuto, Costco, DieHard, WalMart, and on and on.

Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names List

Batteries seem to be one of those items that are dependent on how they are treated.
I've had the same duralast under the hood of my 300D for 5 years now, in the winter I
keep a trickle charger under the hood on a three way with the block heater. It gets a
little boost every morning, maybe that's the secret, who knows?
It'll prolly be dead tomorrow :)

Fish

·
Premium Member
10,386 Posts
Another member recently posted a pic of a MB battery that he bought at a dealer. It looked a lot like the old battery that originally came in my car. Ps2cho's new MB battery does not......so I'm unsure of corporate alliances, buy-outs or whatever is going on.

Kevin

·
Registered
W124
5,158 Posts
My last MB battery looked different too. It was made in Spain and allowed access to the cells. This was maybe a year ago so I don't know what they are delivering today. But that said, I usually end up paying less for an MB battery than for an aftermarket one. My dealer gives me 15% off on anything and sometimes more because I am pretty religious about buying parts there. One example was a "Gold" Diehard for my 300e. Sears wanted $125 for it and I got the Benz battery for $95.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts