Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I'm looking for the correct part number for a replacement battery tray for my 1990 560SEL. The vehicle started life as a California car. Long story short, I've owned the car for approx a year and had disconnected the battery to replace the coil. After installation, the battery didn't have enough juice to turn the engine over. after only sitting for a week. Not knowing the age of the battery, I decided to pull it to test / replace it. One of the studs welded in on the battery tray hold down points had been stripped by the previous person installing the now 6 year old battery which was removed via dremel tool. The new battery did the trick and I have the car back together using only one of the 2 mounting plates while searching for a new tray.

Most websites show the battery tray part number for this car as a 126 620 04 18. I purchased one from the MB dealer in Naperville(using the VIN to validate) and it arrived in short order. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any of the mounting holes to align with the body of the car. The new part is also missing a hole in one of the corners. If a missing hole was the only challenge, it's easy enough to mark and drill the missing hole. The holes on the back of the tray where it mounts to the firewall were off as well as the "arm" which seemed to be slightly more inboard than the original. My local dealer in Austin is going to open a case with MB to see if we can identify the correct part, but if anyone has run into this challenge before and knows what will fit, I would be grateful.

Thanks, Andy

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,295 Posts
Hey Andy,

How frustrating!

Both sites that I use to locate/identify parts also show A126 620 04 18 as the right side [LHD] battery tray.

Several years ago I got an A/C line from the dealer & it was made wrong, similar but unusable..
Possibly, your part was a 'wrong pick'/labeled incorrectly for some reason or other?

M

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, The pics from pelican parts looks exactly like the one I received from the MB dealer in Naperville. One of the key gaps I can see in those pics is the missing second elongated hole opposite the "arm". The pic below is the unit in the vehicle. Notice the mounting location(also an elongated hole) in use by the piece of blue paper. This was missing on the one that arrived and the one in the pelican parts photos above. Easy enough to add, but what's harder to see is the "arm" is in a slightly different spot. The position of the arm on the new part made the tray move too close to the second firewall and made alignment of the arm hole too far off.
IMG_2005 Tray.jpg

·
Registered
1981 300SD W126
95 Posts
I just watched a video from mercedesourse with Kent showing that the W123 tray is very close but with some minor modifications it can work, here check it out! I wonder if this is what you ended up with.

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting Video, Thanks! It may come down to just modifying a new 126 620 04 18. After I returned the 04 18, I noticed the 03 18 on a few websites and it did indeed have the dual elongated holes in the necessary corner, so I ordered one. It came from Germany this weekend...and it must be for a RHD vehicle as the support arm is on the opposite side.

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do! Hope to hear back from the local dealer soon re the case they’ve opened with MB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts