Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just digging through an old diagnostic problem tree and came up with this tid bit on jumping or charging the w210 system.
Warning never charge the car with the key in the ignition,never put a jumper on it with the key in the ignition,never charge the battery via the battery post and a good ground with the key in the ignition.
The DAS system can be affected and wipe out the rolling code part of the system rendering it unusable.
Have noted several times in the past members with battery problems ending up with no start or crank and fail to start issues.So this is a possible cause and one to avoid.
Now if we had someone to put this in the stickies(greg) it might save someone grief in the future:D
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
I assume that this means that you should attach the cables with the key out of the ignition, then insert the key and attempt to start the car.

As for adding it to the stickies, I miss Greg doing the job as much as you, you can be assured. Had you not asked, I might have added it.

Just kidding. It's already there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the above does happen, what's the fix? I had AAA try to jump start my car today and it sounds like this may have happened.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Dear Matt, May I know if your assumption: put the jump starter cables on before the key is correct?

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
That's what I would do.

I am paranoid about jump-starting cars. I will run the donor engine for a while with them hooked up, then shut off the engine before attempting to start the parasite.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
That's what I would do.

I am paranoid about jump-starting cars. I will run the donor engine for a while with them hooked up, then shut off the engine before attempting to start the parasite.
Would there be a problem if we leave the donor engine on when we start the parasite?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Thank you Matt again.

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon
367 Posts
The DAS system can be affected and wipe out the rolling code part of the system rendering it unusable.
Our "keys" have rolling codes? cool

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,468 Posts
That's what I would do.

All documentation actually recommends to leave donor car engine running and to even increase the engine speed while attempting to start other car.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
All documentation actually recommends to leave donor car engine running and to even increase the engine speed while attempting to start other car.
That is good recommendation if you use cheap jump cables that will not be able to carry starting current. Having donor car alternator charging will speed up charging battery on dead car. Few minutes can make big difference.
Having good batteries in my vehicles and #2 cables I start any vehicle with battery completely flat and no worry about engine running.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
That is good recommendation if you use cheap jump cables that will not be able to carry starting current. Having donor car alternator charging will speed up charging battery on dead car. Few minutes can make big difference.
Having good batteries in my vehicles and #2 cables I start any vehicle with battery completely flat and no worry about engine running.
How easily the simple stuff escapes me, I suppose. Yes, I also use a monster pair of cables. I'm pretty sure that they're #2.

·
Registered
1997 W210 E320 Avantgarde
46 Posts
Just digging through an old diagnostic problem tree and came up with this tid bit on jumping or charging the w210 system.
Warning never charge the car with the key in the ignition,never put a jumper on it with the key in the ignition,never charge the battery via the battery post and a good ground with the key in the ignition.
Have noted several times in the past members with battery problems ending up with no start or crank and fail to start issues.So this is a possible cause and one to avoid.
Now if we had someone to put this in the stickies(greg) it might save someone grief in the future:D
Hi All,

Please forgive my ignorance but I would just like to clarify something before I go stuffing everything up and frying things. I have a 97 E320 and I want to charge the battery to top it up as I think it's on its way out. My head lights are dimming a bit and my central locking is no longer responding (ongoing issue). I was wondering what is the best method to use when trickle charging a battery. Is it best to leave the battery connected to the vehicle or remove it completely and charge it separately? I’m at a bit of a loss as I don’t have a manual for the car and I’ve been getting a lot of mixed information. The dealership tells me that it doesn’t matter if I leave it fully connected but I don’t trust them…I’m usually very confident with doing all of my own repairs on my other car but I am petrified of touching my Merc.

Thanks for all of your posts on this topic as it has already saved me a lot of trouble and panic. :bowdown:

Kind regards

·
Registered
96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
12,141 Posts
ohlord.
You started something and ran. What gives?

aardvark

·
Registered
2013 E350/41k, 1997 E320/290k, 1999 FJ100/256k
314 Posts
I have no electrical power in parking garage so need to remove the battery and bring upstairs. Before doing something wrong, want to verify and cannot find...

Are these steps correct - assuming key is out of ignition and precautions are taken?

Removal:
remove back seat
disconnect negative connector near tranny tunnel via access panel from carpeted area
disconnect negative cable from battery
disconnect positive cable from battery
remove securing bolt for battery

charge/replace/clean/whatever the battery, clean battery area

put battery back in place
secure with bolt
connect positive terminal to battery
connect negative terminal to battery
connect cable to vehicle
replace back seat

.. then follow resync - any precautions before starting car, key in ignition??

I do need to get the manual for this vehicle - is this procedure in there or the DVD??

Thanks
Gregg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts