1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Unimog U1250
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,821 Posts
A max blow fuse on the battery can be handy to isolate it from crazy amp draw but I'll paraphrase Truktor on this one; fuses okay, aircraft style breakers better.

KLIXON 6752100-100 <br>CIRCUIT BREAKERS from Aircraft Spruce

Better to reset a breaker than replace an expensive fuse in the event of a boo-boo. From practical experience back when I sold parts, guys would often need to buy high amp fuses for hondas after incorrectly attempting to install a stereo. Not exactly cheap or readily available in the even of snafu.

·
Registered
1981 U1300L
1,302 Posts
Ian, I like the pictured fuse. I used a marine fuse attached to the terminal. To me it makes all kinds of sense. As Aaron pointed out on a thread a while back, a shorted battery cable is a guarrentied fire potential. That's bargain price for the one you linked.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,821 Posts
Unfortunately I don't know of any that are direct to the battery lug. You could always build a power control module to sit very close to them, act as a bus bar system much like a home breaker panel.

·
Registered
1985 416 DOKA mid-mounted Rotzler winch, 1984 U1200AG
453 Posts
Iain,

I like what you found for 8$ or 9$ you could carry a few extra. On jets we have all resetable circut breakers and I will not deny that they are pretty nice...however they do not let us reset them more than one time in flight because of the fire hazard which makes sense to me. (except in extreme circumstances)

So with your solution I would carry 3 or 4 extras along with me and if they keep blowing you probably don't want power on there until you figuer out where the draw/short is. I am going with an alternator that produces 28V and 14V and I think I am going to go with your fuse solution for both batteries. Of course a pair of aircraft circut breakers mounted in the battry box would pretty nice as well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts