Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'01 E320 15k miles..
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use these on all my classic cars. I assume they are safe for the W210. What is the preferred hook up ? The under hood jump terminals ? Thanks!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Yep, that would be them.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
"Tender" is a kitchen term. Make sure your charger has floating circuit.
I had our MB parked for 5 weeks with alarms on and they didn't need any charging to start.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
"Tender" is a kitchen term. Make sure your charger has floating circuit.
I had our MB parked for 5 weeks with alarms on and they didn't need any charging to start.
"Battery Tender Jr" is a trademark and brand name of Deltran products. I'm assuming that's what the OP meant. Their tender products do charge, test and float. They're a bit pricey, but are industry leaders for a reason.

·
Registered
'02 E320 4matic Wagon
326 Posts
Just be careful if you lower the hood with the leads on the jump posts. Dont want the "+" to hit any metal.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Critically, have the key out of the ignition connecting/diconnecting the charger..

·
Registered
'01 E320 15k miles..
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Battery Tender Jr" is a trademark and brand name of Deltran products. I'm assuming that's what the OP meant. Their tender products do charge, test and float. They're a bit pricey, but are industry leaders for a reason.
Your correct . The deltran are quite a bit cheaper than the c teck I've seen .
Thanks for the replys .
DL

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,334 Posts
For those who have hard wired and permanently installed their Ctek type smart chargers, is there any problem leaving them permanently connected?

Potentially, I suppose they have components that would constantly see 13.5V while engine is running.

Then if parked with charger not plugged in, could there be a battery drain due to draw from LED and any other components?

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
From my RV experience when you leave battery clamp connected, something will always drain it. I have no problem leaving automotive batteries disconnected for 6 months and they will still start the engine.
My "house" batteries, what are deep charge, golf cart style hold good charge for 12 months.
Than using cheaper battery maintainers I did loose couple of batteries. In one instance the charger failed and drained the battery, in another the float circuit went high and boiled the battery dry.

·
Premium Member
10,334 Posts
From my RV experience when you leave battery clamp connected, something will always drain it. I have no problem leaving automotive batteries disconnected for 6 months and they will still start the engine.
My "house" batteries, what are deep charge, golf cart style hold good charge for 12 months.
Than using cheaper battery maintainers I did loose couple of batteries. In one instance the charger failed and drained the battery, in another the float circuit went high and boiled the battery dry.
I agree 100% with disconnecting batteries if car is going to be stored for long period.

What I was talking about, was a car that sits sometimes for a few weeks or a month.

Others here have permanent battery maintainers hooked up to their under hood terminals. They keep maintainer on when parked to overcome drainage from car's accessories.

Questions were:
- is there a problem leaving the charger hooked up when running car where it will see 13.5+V
- will charger draw battery down if left for a period hooked up but not plugged in.

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
re 1. should not be a problem.
re 2. The charger is usually having a diode preventing back discharge, but diodes always allow small leaks. Probably nothing noticeable in a week, but something that might show after a month.
Again, we had several periods when our MLs and E class have been left for 5 weeks with alarms on and they always started without a problem

·
Premium Member
10,334 Posts
re 1. should not be a problem.
re 2. The charger is usually having a diode preventing back discharge, but diodes always allow small leaks. Probably nothing noticeable in a week, but something that might show after a month.
Again, we had several periods when our MLs and E class have been left for 5 weeks with alarms on and they always started without a problem
No problem with car on it's own - was just asking about possible charger leakage current - Must take some power to light the led.

Just thinking about it, I have a clamp-on DC ammeter - must see if it registers anything with charger attached.

·
Registered
'01 E320 15k miles..
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem with car on it's own - was just asking about possible charger leakage current - Must take some power to light the led.

Just thinking about it, I have a clamp-on DC ammeter - must see if it registers anything with charger attached.
C teck states there is up to a 1h/month back current drain. Nothing significant.

·
Premium Member
10,334 Posts
C teck states there is up to a 1h/month back current drain. Nothing significant.
OK Looked it up:

"* - Back Current Drain is what is draining the battery if the charger is connected without the power cord connected. XS 800 extremely low Back Current Drain is equal to 1 Ah/month. A normal figure for other chargers is 1 Ah/day, which could ruin your battery. "

I did check my charger - drain is in region of 0.01 mA . This is minimal, but I guess is on top of any other drain.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
MBs battery tender showed connections to the battery directly, and using a lighter jack mounted on the fender liner. that way the charger can be plugged into the socket, and if needed the ac cord can be run out of the trunk and the lid closed (the weatherstrip will handle it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts