Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me the specs so I can get a new battery? Someone mentioned a type49? I have no clue what a type49 is, all I understand is Cold Cranking Amps! How much CCA's does the 5cyl non-turbo supposed to have? I don't have a good manual that states this info. My earlier post about the cannot start after valve adj wired it down to the battery.

What brand battery do you guys use? Interstate? Delco? Walmart? LOL!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
850CCA's are good for a diesel. I would go with a Interstate or a Walmart, no joke, Walmart sells good batteries, try to pick one up, its very heavy, the heavier the better.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Every battery has a size code which identifies the physical size, and location and type of posts. It does not identify the power, or Cold Cranking Amps, and this varies by manufactuer. In your case, you need a size 49, which actually fits a lot of different Mercedes models throughout the years. This size number will be printed on the battery label, and any place that sells batteries will know what you need by that size number.

I would try to find a battery with at least 850 CCA for your diesel, 750 minimum. I usually get my batteries from Sam's Club, which of course is Walmart. I believe they now have a 2 year free replacement warranty, and of the many batteries I have bought from there have only had one go bad prematurely, which they replaced for free. And their price isn't bad either, but be sure you have a core as I think they charged me $9 last time (which is refundable if you bring a core in when you buy or bring it in later). I've also heard good things about Interstate and Exide batteries. Or you could pay mega-bucks and get a genuine Mercedes-Benz battery from the dealer.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The battery you need for your 300CD is a Group 93, the group 49 is the substitute battery for the Group 93 and is okay if you can't find the Group 93. I've been driving MB diesels for almost 40-years and have tried lots of batteries, but the best I've found is the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus, 1000 cranking amps, 850 cold cranking amps. It's a little more expensive, but it is the correct battery for your diesel and has an 85 month warranty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! 1000 CA's? WOW! I was thinking 850CA was a lot! Now I KNOW WHY MY CAR DOESNT START!! It's the battery for sure! Mine is 700 CCA, and it's OLD! I doubt it even has 500 CCA. Cool, what a relief. I was thinking my car was a goners....Its the battery, I know it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts