Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 280sl,65 Mustang Fastback, 05 Chaparral 220 Ssi
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which battery do you all recommend? I've always gotten my batteries from Wal Mart, and was curious if there was something better out there that didn't cost more. Hey, I'm cheap, what can I say.

Thanks,
Brian
 

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
Joined
·
39,302 Posts
If you aren't entering the car in an event where the battery has to say "Mercedes" on it, anything that will start the car when you turn the key works for me. I think mine is currently (no pun intended) an Interstate.
 

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
Joined
·
2,267 Posts
Most car batteries are made by a handful of companies, such as Johnson Controls or Exide. (Not unlike pet food, so we recently learned.) So it doesn't really matter where you get the battery.

Unless, as Dig says, you're worried about losing 5 points at the next concours...
 

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
Joined
·
7,783 Posts
I go through a lot of batteries around here, with two summer cars and two boats. I find batteries tend to fail when not used for months at a time, despite periodic charging. Doesn't seem to matter whether I buy brand name or store label. So, I buy the cheapest batteries I can find that will fit and have long full-replacement warranties. The counterman in the local auto parts store groans when I walk in each Spring.
Meanwhile, why are there so many different physical battery sizes in cars? You'd think there would be some standardization, at least within the same-company model range. Same goes for spark plugs. There must be hundreds of those too.
 

·
Registered
1988 560SL
Joined
·
200 Posts
Advance auto, Kragens, Parts America, (all same company), and Autozone. They carry either Johnson Controls or Exide and will stand by the warranty. Sears Diehard is Johnson Controls and is overpriced. Interstates are also very good, but harder to find.
See this site, which is Johnson Controls. It shows all their brands.
Battery Selector
 

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
Joined
·
3,381 Posts
That reminds me how do you wire and mount the battery in the trunk, like some one suggested a couple of threads age?
 

·
Registered
'79 450 SLC
Joined
·
456 Posts
ussun said:
That reminds me how do you wire and mount the battery in the trunk, like some one suggested a couple of threads age?
With a lot of difficulty. You'll just be running draw lines and spending hours taking trim out.
 

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
Joined
·
2,267 Posts
ussun said:
That reminds me how do you wire and mount the battery in the trunk, like some one suggested a couple of threads age?
That's really not necessary in your case. One reason the battery was moved to the back on US-spec models was to prevent it from being boiled dry by the cats at the back of each exhaust manifold.

Now THAT was a big mistake!!!
 

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
Joined
·
6,077 Posts
page62 said:
That's really not necessary in your case. One reason the battery was moved to the back on US-spec models was to prevent it from being boiled dry by the cats at the back of each exhaust manifold.
I'm glad they left it back there, though. That engine compartment is about as crowded as it can get and still leave room to work on the engine. And that's one big-ass battery taking up space in my trunk....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
dugald said:
why are there so many different physical battery sizes in cars? You'd think there would be some standardization, at least within the same-company model range. Same goes for spark plugs. There must be hundreds of those too.
Could it be.......:D engineers:D ?
Sorry dugald, I couldn't resist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
Alkraut said:
Advance auto, Kragens, Parts America, (all same company), and Autozone. They carry either Johnson Controls or Exide and will stand by the warranty. Sears Diehard is Johnson Controls and is overpriced. Interstates are also very good, but harder to find.
See this site, which is Johnson Controls. It shows all their brands.
Battery Selector
I buy Interstates from my nearby indy. Benz, Toy, golf cart, lawnmower. I just give the dimensions/electrical requirements, and a fresh battery is delivered at as good a price as anyone.
And I know where to go to invoke the warranty if need be.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
Joined
·
7,783 Posts
Being Springtime, I took back another dead battery today but alas it was out of warranty. Actually it was the 3rd one under the same warranty.
I bought a new one with a 9yr warranty. It and its replacements may outlast me.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top