Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 G500
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried the forum's search function so that I would not repeat anything previously posted but the function appears to be down.

I've been studying adding a second battery and various combiner/isolator setups to my boat for about a week now. As fate would have it my G "hick-uped" trying to start yesterday. I turned the key, it "grrrrd" for about 1/2 second and stopped as if it didn't have enough amperage to finish turning the engine over. So I tried again and it started. Upon return from a short local trip I checked the date of the Intersate MT-91 battery and it was at 64 months old (out of a 72m warranty period). I then checked a few things using http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq4.htm and sure enough the old battery was headed downhill. I thought it would be a helpful site for folks to consider: http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/

Using Consumer Reports I went with Advance Autos Titanium Series Group 48/91 ($63). In stock and with an April 2005 date [:D] . There was enough room to add a battery absorption mat. The old battery was designed for centralling venting battery gases, but it was not installed. I haven't found any literature in the WIS that sez it should be there but I installed it anyway and there was an opening in the bottom of the battery compartment that sure looked like it has that as a purpose (this battery is installed in the back left corner of the truck). No sense having hydrogen gas mixing with the electrics and relays in that same compartment.

Other pricing I found:
-Interstate MT-91 ($115) special order 2-3 day wait
-Walmart Everstart no group 48 in stock or price posted
-Autozone Dura Last Group 48 ($60) not enough CCA or Reserve for my preference
-Autozone Dura Last Gold group 48 ($80) not in stock
-Sears WeatherHandler(North) Diehard ($90) 2-3 day wait or 2 hour round trip for me.
-Varta. could not find the correct application at their website and would have been a 3 hour round trip to the dealer plus whatever wait it would be for one to arrive in stock.

I did take a serious look at the AGM/Spiral technology batteries, but for the money, I got a higer amperage, higher reserve starting battery that is more tolerant of how a charge cycle is applied to it....for at least 1/2 the price (3yr free replacement, 84 month battery(although 5 years is about the average for me on wet cell batteries)).

Now back to adding that second battery to das boat!

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Boat Battery & Isolation Switch

JRBrown - 4/24/2005 9:35 AM

Now back to adding that second battery to das boat!
JR, I have an voltage sensitive isolation relay switch installed on my kamper. It automatically isolates the kamper battery from the car battery if the kamper battery drops below a certain level, yet allows charging of the kamper battery when a certain voltage is exceeded from the car's charging circuit. It works very well and, while made in New Zealand, they have a US distributer. I'll send you particulars by email

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Central Venting?

JRBrown - 4/24/2005 9:35 AM

The old battery was designed for centralling venting battery gases, but it was not installed. I haven't found any literature in the WIS that sez it should be there but I installed it anyway and there was an opening in the bottom of the battery compartment that sure looked like it has that as a purpose (this battery is installed in the back left corner of the truck). No sense having hydrogen gas mixing with the electrics and relays in that same compartment.
JR, What, where, how did you do this? I have an Optima battery, which is supposed to be non-venting; so, for me, this may be a moot point. I'm curious anyway.

·
Registered
2000 G500
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery Compartment Venting - Mystery

Three photos are attached.

Two are where the vent tubing goes for what I did (and it's not necessarily "factory").

During the photo shoot, I found an open rubber line next to two smaller rubber lines that have line caps on them. Anyone have any idea what that line is for?

D$%^ IT!. The more I look, the less I know (paraphrased from a german physicist's thereom).

The adventure continues

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Mystery

JRBrown - 4/24/2005 11:28 AM

During the photo shoot, I found an open rubber line next to two smaller rubber lines that have line caps on them. Anyone have any idea what that line is for?
I just looked and have the same open hole. It's one of the rubber "pass through" plugs with several "ports" (for want of a better word) to run wires through a large opening, while keeping it relatively water and dust sealed. There were several on the firewall of my 460.

I have the same large open one and the two unopened one as you. That same pass through plug has several other "ports" in use to run wires.

No, I don't know what's missing for which the "port" was cut open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts