Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OEM battery is 6+ yrs old and needed to be charged twice in the last 3 months so I am going to replace it...called the dealer and they had me on hold...asked me was I an independent shop...then put me back on hold again so they lose the sale...any recommendations from your experience

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've had the oem batt since I bought the car in 05. It may have been changed before it came to me but was not on the service records. Stress tested it 2 years ago and it was fine. I top the water off once a year and it keeps on tickin. If you call the MB 800# road service I think it is standard MB policy to come out with a new one, change it and reset the codes for the price of the battery. try the dealer again.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
I'm with you, the heck with the dealer. Probably would charge you a premium, too.

Just call mb roadside assistance and tell them your battery is shot. Even if you haven't used the dealer and are not otherwise eligible I think they will still come out if you are buying a battery. They will replace it and not charge for labor, either.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The dealer battery is good but try Interstate? In Canada I swear by the Canadian Tire Eliminator Battery. You must buy the right size and it needs the vent tube to remove the hydrogen. A charging battery creates hydrogen and in your trunk it could explode...

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
I went with a red top Optima. Sealed spiral wound, light and small. Fits with all the original mounts. Best battery out there.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good info everyone...thanks

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...funny note everyone...dealer battery was less than interstate...139$..gave em one more shot and they came through

·
Registered
118 Posts
I went with a red top Optima. Sealed spiral wound, light and small. Fits with all the original mounts. Best battery out there.
Hary

What part number did you use for the Optima. I actually want to install a yellow top, but the tech at optima said I need to use the commercial yellow top with 900 cca. Battery is 1.5 inches higher and I don't know if it will fit. Any suggestions; anyone?

Thanks

Sirswift93

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
I bought the highest amp/hr. Red top. Works great.

No idea why that guy told you do a yellow top unless your running really big aftermarket amps. Even so, Optima's yellow tops can be mounted on there side. It's an AGM battery.
Good luck

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought the highest amp/hr. Red top. Works great.

No idea why that guy told you do a yellow top unless your running really big aftermarket amps. Even so, Optima's yellow tops can be mounted on there side. It's an AGM battery.
Good luck
Thanks Hary. The highest rated Red Top does not have the recommended CCAmps that the CLK needs. That is why I thought about going with the D31A or D31M which has 900 CCA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts