Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560SL
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery in my '89 560SL went dead on me while sitting in the driveway. I recharged it where it sat and it started and did okay for a week or two. I moved the car in the garage and changed the oil and transmission filter and fluid. Took a couple of weeks and when I tried to start the car it was dead as a doorknob. I tried to recharge it but got a funny rattling noise near the battery compartment and the horn honked weakly and then nothing. The battery shows dead and won't take a charge. Question one, have I screwed something up by trying to charge it while connected? (Read the owners manual afterwards and it says don't do that) Question two, what's the best battery? The one in there is a diehard but sears says they don't sell a battery for this model car.

Thanks

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
The battery in my '89 560SL went dead on me while sitting in the driveway. I recharged it where it sat and it started and did okay for a week or two. I moved the car in the garage and changed the oil and transmission filter and fluid. Took a couple of weeks and when I tried to start the car it was dead as a doorknob. I tried to recharge it but got a funny rattling noise near the battery compartment and the horn honked weakly and then nothing. The battery shows dead and won't take a charge. Question one, have I screwed something up by trying to charge it while connected? (Read the owners manual afterwards and it says don't do that) Question two, what's the best battery? The one in there is a diehard but sears says they don't sell a battery for this model car.

Thanks
I highly doubt you screwed anything up by charging while still connected in the car. I have done this on many cars, including my LS430 (full of electronics!), without incident.
I seem to go through batteries every two years on my 560. Whatever Advance auto has is what I buy and install, and I usually get some money back due to pro-rating warranty.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Question two, what's the best battery? The one in there is a diehard but sears says they don't sell a battery for this model car.
I bought a Mercedes battery. It was about $50 more than anywhere else, but it's been an incredible battery - I ran the car for a week with the stereo and a 400 watt amplifier blaring, headlights on, lighting cigarettes with the electric lighter and only on Friday did my car finally tell me Hey, stupid, you remember when you disconnected the alternator on Saturday? Well, you never hooked it back up! It told me this by refusing to start.

·
Premium Member
107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
5,924 Posts
I like the Advance batteries as well. Have them in most of my cars. The '75 240D tank has an Optima, which is really fantastic. I've had it for years.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,329 Posts

Thanks
I doubt you did do anything wrong unless the charger was faulty. But you should remove the battery, fully charge it and then have it load tested (most auto parts shops will do this for you. In doing this, they put a load roughly equivalent to the starting load on the battery and watch what happens to the voltage. Voltage should drop to say 11v but the should be steady. If it continues to drift down, battery is shot. It sounds like it is!

I understand that roadside service in USA will bring you a new battery if you call them, install it and not charge you more than buying one at dealer. But Walmart will sell you one cheaper! I have an Exide I bought from Walmart Canada and it seems good.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
My '87 560 SL has an Interstate Megatron MTP-93. My Dad had it installed in July of 2001. Still going strong.

If it dies before I do, I'll be getting another. Certainly the best car battery I've ever owned.

(Pic shows the semi-permanent battery maintainer lead I installed for keeping it charged up over the non-driven winter months.)

Good road,

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,497 Posts
5.5 years later and sitting in a cold garage for 4 months a year and my Walmart Energizer battery is still going strong.

Of course, you never did say how old the battery was........I would try what MBG suggested and fully charge it and then see how it does with a toaster.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts

·
29,497 Posts

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
What is probably more important than brand is matching the battery technology to the car's alternator/charging system. See Battery Basics: A Layman's Guide to Batteries, helpful in discussing battery technologies; and CAR BATTERIES ARE NOT 12 VOLTS for good info on the considerations in changing from one battery technology to another in your car. Many battery problems are caused by mismatching the charging equipment and the battery.

·
Registered
1989 560SL
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, after reading all of the above, except the last by Skylaw, I bought and installed an Interstate battery from our local Firestone dealer. It scared me when I hooked it up and the horn started honking. I guessed at locking and unlocking the driver side door and it went off. Haven't tried the radio yet but the car started fine and runs.

·
Registered
US spec MB560SL 1986, Audi A4 and A6, Ford Taunus 1964 17M and 2.0 1975
1,419 Posts
Optima Yellowtop

I use my 560SL only in summer. The BOSCH/VARTA batteries did not like the long unused winter period. I have now installed Optima Yellowtop battery and it has been excellent for me. Optima fits tight inside the battery box.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
If you're planning on keeping your SL a long, long time, I believe you made a fine choice, GL.

Be sure to keep your paperwork safe over the next 7+ years. The 30-month free replacement / 85-month pro-rated warranty is hard to beat. :thumbsup:

Good road,

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,354 Posts
Our ubiquitous parts store, Canadian Tire, sell house-branded batteries made by whomever wins the supply contract from time to time.
(Similarly, Interstate's excellent batteries are made by an outside contractor. Interstate is merely a marketing agency).
Anyway, Canadian Tire's top battery carries a 36/108 month warranty and for an extra $9.99 you can double the warranty. That's 6 years full replacement, 18 years pro-rated. I should live so long.

·
29,497 Posts
I'm disappointed more often than not at Cambodian Tire........so it's a last resort, for me.

·
Registered
1974 450sl 1994 bmw 530i 1995 f150 2007 FJCruiser trd se
41 Posts
Johnson Controls makes most of the car batteries.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,175 Posts
Well, after reading all of the above, except the last by Skylaw, I bought and installed an Interstate battery from our local Firestone dealer. It scared me when I hooked it up and the horn started honking. I guessed at locking and unlocking the driver side door and it went off. Haven't tried the radio yet but the car started fine and runs.
Sound more like your factory alarm was energized and by locking and unlocking you disengaged it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts